Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I want to thank you gents for wishing me a happy birthday, it was not necessary, but a nice gesture none the less. I Fish Pass lake on my birthday every year. It's kinda a tradition for me, this year was an eventful trip to say the least. Friday night the lake was crowded, I was short on time and only had a few hours to make some casts. Had a few strikes in the waning light, but that was it. My buddy landed 3 nice rainbows, he doesn't even really fish but for this trip each year. Saturday was a beautiful day, I fished all day, from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. nonstop. I met Roper and Backyard who had been at it since dawn. backyard kept hooking fish but couldn't keep his knots from breaking. I watched him hook a huge brown out of a snag, but it was short lived. He did manage a nice rainbow before they left for another lake down the way. I kept thinking to myself that sooner or later some dry fly angling would be apon me. Everything just seemed right. I managed to land 3 rainbows throughout the day, but it was pretty slow for me. I did run into this guy that was chill'n by himself in the back corner of the lake. I could tell this guy was a pro, but I'll get to that later. About an hour before dusk I was back in the spot that Backyard had hooked a monster brown trout earlier in the day. I managed to catch a nice rainbow, but my real mission was to bag this brown. Pass lake's version on Wilbur. I got a call on my 2 way to turn around and take a peek at what was going on behind me. I was so focused on this snag that I was oblivious to the real action. The lake was on fire with surface activity. My good buddy Hen had just landed a 18 inch bow on the dry, and it was only the beginning. I high taled it out of my spot to get into the action. I reached in a fly box and grabbed the first thing that looked close to what I saw on the water, a little emerger pattern. It turned out to be a spot on match. quickly I was into a fish, not a huge fish, but a true fighter. I quickly got my fly dried out the best I could in a hurry, and casted back out into the thick of it. a few minutes passed, and I had another fish, this one fought like his big brother, but truth be told, it was real small. Again, I through out a cast, but my little fly was so water logged that no matter how much flotant I applied, it didn't matter. What I needed was time, and the light was fading fast. Finally after what seemed like an eternity, I got back into the game. Boom, a huge take, but the fish missed the fly, I did nothing, better get that fish some night vision equipment. It was so dark by this time, and my fly was so darn small, I was fishing on instinct, listening and looking into the darkness. Another take, but I was too quick to set, and the fish was gone. 4 takes, 2 landed. My buddy Hen had 6 by this time. A long day on the lake, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

So back to this pro. I say pro because this guy was it. His cast was one of the best I've ever seen. He was throwing 60 plus feet of line with a 26 foot leader like it was nothing. A 26 foot leader!!??!! Around 3 p.m., Me and the boys were saying goodbye to Rowdy and Wyatt who had showed up around noon. Rowdy had come bearing gifts from himself and the boys at kaufmanns. Thanks fellas. This guy is getting his customized Steelheader loaded up when he comes over to us to show us something, a bunch of stuff he pumped out of a fishes belly. We start talking, and it's obvious this guy has been around, seen some things. Really nice guy, he gave us a b.c. lake gem. After we chatted for a bit, he busts out some fly boxes. His boxes were like nothing I've ever seen. Nothing from a shop, all custom, every last one. We chat some more, he takes off. As soon as he leaves, it hits me. That was Steve Raymond. We all just looked at each other..... So I honestly don't know, I guess I'll never know. But some of the things he said were just amazing. If this guy wasn't writing books about flyfishing, he should of been. A total professional fly fisherman in every sense of the word. It was a good weekend.

:beer2 YT:smokin

·
Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan
1,110 Posts
The whole time I was there all I could think was... "I wish I had a 'modified version of Steve Probascos night leech'".

I don't know the last time I truly truly got skunked. In the truest sense of the word as it relates to fishing. Not even a strike. I don't know if it was me or the worm I had crawling around in my fly box :thumb (I put it into one of ******'s when he was talking to "Steve Raymond" hehehe he was so distracted I just slipped it in). Sorry ******. Hen, Jay, the otherwhitemeat and I were laughing way too hard!

MAC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.