Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, It looks like, with me included, we have 15 tiers. These are the people I have for the swap:

Tight Loops
mtlhead
Roper
Fish pirate
SeaClarki
crockett
billylee
Luv2Spe
XstreamAngler
SeaClarki
Nailknot
DEREK
Steelheader69
caddiscaster

I will email a everyone again tonight with my address and swap info, just to make sure everyone is on the same page.

The deadline is December 1st.
Happy tying
-crump :THUMBSUP

·
Registered
177 Posts
Cool. Does this mean we need to tie 15 flies? That's not a problem, I just need to know.

Also, the fly I'll be contributing is the ever popular Night Dancer, the fly on which I caught my very first steelhead. It's a proven fish getter.

I initially proposed to contribute a fly of my own design, the Bacon Creek Special, but upon reflection I think most of you would rather have something that is *known* to work.

Cheers,

Michael

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi Derek,

Send me your address and I'll send you a couple of Bacon Creek Specials along with the materials list. They've been a productive, low-water fly for me.

As for the Dee fly. This was my first and only attempt at this style of fly. It looked, well, exactly like it was my first attempt. :HMMM Truth be told, the Dee style is difficult for me to get right - And the Steelhead I caught yesterday wrecked my carefully placed wings. Anyway, If you don't mind a fly that is my second attempt, I'd be happy to tie up a couple for you as well.

Cheers,

Michael

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im just bringing this back to the top to remind everyone its only 9 days until the December 1st deadline. So far I have only recieved flies from Steelheader69.

Get tying guys!!

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Good luck. I forwarned you. :WINK I have done quite a few, and have set up strict guidelines, and always seem to get pushed back. I have one with only 6 guys that was supposed to be done by Nov. 1st and still awaiting one guys flies. In fact, just finished up an international fly swap. 12 guys involved, most from the UK/Europe. I finally emailed one guy and told him he was out and tied up another dozen flies to make up for his.

Don't mean to sound rude, but it's nature of the swap game. It seems that it takes a good 3 months to get one to settle. Just keep pushing, send out emails. If you bug them enough, they'll get the hint. :THUMBSUP In fact, you make them feel guilty enough, they'll even send some of their special select flies. :DEVIL

·
Registered
184 Posts
I mailed fifteen flies to Crump today.

ELECTRIC SPIDER

Hook: TMC 7999 2/0
Thread: Red 3/0
Butt: Fluorescent Flame STS Trilobal Dubbing
Body: Blue Holo Bright dubbed loosely
First Wing: Black Marabou
Second Wing: Royal Blue Marabou
Third Wing: Black Marabou
Collar: Fluorescent Red Saddle over Light Blue Saddle
Head: Red thread

-Crock

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi,

I have 15 golden girls that will be sent out tomorrow. It's a Roderick Haig-Brown pattern that he developed for winter run steelhead.

Hook: #2 Salmon
Tag: Orange Floss
Tail: Golden Pheasant Crest
Body: Silver (traditional) or Gold Tinsel
Throat: Yellow Hackle (I tie it in as schlappen false hackle style)
Wing: Orange Synthetic Hair(replacement for polar bear), Paired Pheasant Tippet and Golden Pheasant Crest topping over all.

Sorry for the delay. :BLUSH

Billy Jackson

·
Registered
728 Posts
if anybody wants to trade saltwater patterns for steelhead and river patterns for salmon I can send them real fast. Ben

steelheader 69 do you wanna do a fly swap?

saltwater flyfishing in the northwest is a science as well as an art

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Hmmm, another swap eh Rockfish???

I don't know, it's a possibility. What exactly do you want to exchange? River salmon, winter steelhead, summer steelhead, all around, salt water?????? I've done them all, and just finished up 2 swaps myself (one international and other is US only). I may, just depends on what you want to tie up.

We'll see.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hmmm, another swap eh Rockfish???

I can tie up the productive patterns and jigs for saltwater for some winter steelhead flies. check your private message. Ben

saltwater flyfishing in the northwest is a science as well as an art

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
Ok, I just tied up my 15 for you guys. they will get in the mail tomorrow, and be up in Bham just in time.

Flashdancer
Thread: Red Uni 6/0
Body: Pearl Braided Mylar
Wing: Red Crystal Flash, with Orange Marabou on top.
Head: Bead Chain

This is a great little pattern from the "Flies of the Northwest" book. Its got great action in the water, it sinks like a rock, is reasonably simple to tie, and it casts quite well on my 7 wt. It also appears to be an open pattern as I could see this pattern in any color in the rainbow, but I did roll a fish last year on the Grande Ronde with it in the colors listed.

Rob
---------
Genetic pollution damages wild
stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

·
Registered
184 Posts
We are no entering the 8th week since the December 1st deadline and I'm just wondering where we are at. Crump, would you mind giving us an update? When do you expect the goods to be mailed? You mentioned that you might post some pictures...maybe you can set up a post in the Fly Patterns section for the pics and recipes. Anyway, I think we are all eager to hear what the plan is. Thanks!

-Crock

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
I got my flies today!

Thanks for mailing them out Crump, and thanks to all that made this swap successful!

Now I have a ton of beautiful flies! Thanks again! But hey, no one toe tagged them except for me. I guess I can figure out from the patterns who tied what, but what about the others of you?

Rob

·
Registered
184 Posts
It was great to get my flies today too. We should set up a post in the Fly Pattern section that includes all of the recipes along with a picture. Does anybody have a digital camera that would like to do this? What do you guys think?

-Crock

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've got a camera, and I don't mind taking the photo's, but I have not recieved mine yet. Does anyone volunteer to create the list of recipes? I think we would probably need to see if Chris would be willing to match the pict's with the recipe's, but I'm not sure if he would want them all in one, or each one seperate. What do you think Chris, how would you prefer to do it?:dunno

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.