Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dues past due
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lovely young family went to see the grandparents on the mainland tonight, so I had a free pass to get a line wet. I had a chance to leave work a little early too and we were easily on the water of a nice OP lowland lake just after 4. It was shaping up to be a lovely evening. It's a nice lake with no houses and lots of quiet. It was a wonderful setting to watch dusk roll in.

I got a few flies at my club's auction and decided to see how one of the cuttie patterns would work, just for sh*ts and giggles. Not too long into the session I started getting tugs left and right, and a few lazy sets later, brought the fish in the photo to hand. It's been way too many casts since I've enjoyed a hook removal. The action kept up pretty steady for another hour until another one of equal size took my fly with him to the depths. Arrgh; I cursed that bastard for taking my magic with him. I just hope he'll mount that trophy fly on his wall.

Switched to a similar yet very different pattern, just to have nothin' doin'. That did give me the time to adequately notice the hatch of size 18s coming off amid steady slurps and second guess my current arrangement. I chose a matching dry that my father-in-law tied up about 20 years ago and rigged up to 6X for a sleath presentation on top the mirror.

Pretty quickly the first hit happens, just a dinker that I don't set. A few minutes later my buddy starts play-by-play announcing the fish porpoise-feeding straight towards me. "He's coming right at your fly, he's gonna eat it!" Blammo, on command he hit that tiny white gem and we played around for a few minutes before I wished him a good evening.

A few dinky boys and a few nice fish to hand. A few nice bits of scenery and a few solo giggles when lost in thought. A few cold sips and a few rays of sun. What else could you ask for on a Wednesday night?

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Excellent and interesting report Jason. Was that 27 outings, really? Dude you will be off the charts now after kicking that skunk dam down. Nice work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.