Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting myself ready to get back out there and fish a little this winter. Two days ago the weather got up to 42 degrees. And me in my infinte wisdom said that I would go out the next day. Well the next day showed up and it was about 6 degrees out and it was snowing. And this morning it is minus 8 outside. I don't really mind the cold, but minus 8 is just to damn cold for this old man.

Now if I was young I would of jumped at the chance to get out. But as I get older I kind of like the warmth of the house over the cold outside. Hell, at minus 8, I don't even know if my truck will even start. It wouldn't when it hit minus 17 last month.

Jim

·
Registered
28 Posts
brutally cold here too Old man. Bozeman saw -18 this morning. May get to 30 this weekend though, and if so, my line will be thrown in the gallatin. Heard good things about the ruby below the damn. have you been out there recently?

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
It is a crisp 4 degrees here this morning but we are enjoying several days of brilliant sunshine and blue skies. Somehow I prefer this to the dark, wet and forty that prevailed when I lived on the west side. We have had about 8'' of snow over the past week and everything is just damned pretty.

lovin' it, Ive

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
brutally cold here too Old man. Bozeman saw -18 this morning. May get to 30 this weekend though, and if so, my line will be thrown in the gallatin. Heard good things about the ruby below the damn. have you been out there recently?
My truck is only two wheeled drive on the rear. So when is snows I tend to stay close to home. I was going to go hit the Beaverhead at the Pipestone bridge. Had good luck there last year fishing nymphs. A few Browns,Rainbows and some suckers. It is supposed to warm up again next week so I will drag my cold ass out to the Beav.

Jim

·
Registered
27 Posts
Come down to SW MO, +8, -14 windchill, -20 windchill tonight and tomorrow. Warming up on Sunday and next week. Haven't been on the stream since 12Dec. Only been cold here in the central part for about a week. Folks in the south are hurting in this, not used to it. I moved here from central WA. Fishing on 17th if weather permits, OK, will fish anyway.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Rumor is that weekend will be warming up a bit. I might try to fish on Sunday - either the CDA and hope that the shelf ice isn't bad or I'll drive over and join my uncle, maybe take a peek at the bitterroot. I really want to get out there! Anyone look at the Bitterroot within last week or so?

·
BAMF
369 Posts
its 8 degrees here today...warmest its been in a couple of weeks. the nice thing about it being extrmemly cold is that its too cold to snow. being that it warmed up today we have gotten 2" of snow. The normal 35 minute drive to work this morning took a little over two hours.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
OM, it may be just me, but it seems like you write about your dislike of MT weather an awful lot. Just curious why you choose to live (or winter) there? That's why folks invented snowbirding :thumb:

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OM, it may be just me, but it seems like you write about your dislike of MT weather an awful lot. Just curious why you choose to live (or winter) there? That's why folks invented snowbirding :thumb:
I just like to bitch a lot. Me getting on this web site and complaining is like talking to all the people that I know in Washington. While I do miss a few of them. But what I don't miss is all the people, crime, and traffic. You don't hear about somebody being shot, mugged,or robbed. I can get out of my truck and go into a store for things. Leave my truck running and when I come out it will still be there. Try that in Washington

I'm getting on in years and I believe that my knees wouldn't take to skiing or snowboarding.

If I didn't complain or bitch I would probably just blow up. Bitching keeps me sane. But it's supposed to be back into the 30's next week. I haven't been out since I broke my 5wt in November. I hope I haven't forgot how to cast it,

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
Keep bitch'in OMJ
Your making me feel good about myself.
I was out to Bozman between Christmas and New Years, day time highs in the teens.
Lots of spring fed creeks were open, but the air was to cold for fish'in.
So I'm with ya, it's got to be above freezing for me to fish.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Next time you make out this way, give me a heads up and maybe we can throw a few flies around.

And I know how it is about being someplace warm. It's only 8 out and it was supposed to get up to about 22 today. So much for weather reporting. It won't get that high today as it is after three now and it will be dark soon. Another cold night.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
I just like to bitch a lot. Me getting on this web site and complaining is like talking to all the people that I know in Washington. While I do miss a few of them. But what I don't miss is all the people, crime, and traffic. You don't hear about somebody being shot, mugged,or robbed. I can get out of my truck and go into a store for things. Leave my truck running and when I come out it will still be there. Try that in Washington

I'm getting on in years and I believe that my knees wouldn't take to skiing or snowboarding.

If I didn't complain or bitch I would probably just blow up. Bitching keeps me sane. But it's supposed to be back into the 30's next week. I haven't been out since I broke my 5wt in November. I hope I haven't forgot how to cast it,
SNOW-BIRDING (not Boarding). Buy ya a good used 5th wheel and find a spot down on the Texas Gulf Coast. Redfish, seat trout and tons of mature women candy to watch if you just want to sit and drink beer:beer1:

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
OMJ snowboarding...I'd pay to see that show. Freestone makes a great point Jim. You could make a southerly fishing trip each year and post reports from your mobile fishing palace. Let me know if you need a driver.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Mumbles you wouldn't leave your family behind i know. scratch Mumbles from the list Jim.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
They'd be along for the adventure. Jim loves little kids. My girls might even teach him how to sing and dance to Disney Princess songs. Who would not want to be ring side for that side show?

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Who ever, ever shows up here in Montana to fish with me, better leave the kids at home. Kids drive me over the edge. All they do is ask stupid questions and ask when are we going home, I'm hungry, can we go now, are we done yet, etc, etc.

But I'm not into traveling. I do tend to wander about the State of Montana. But not out of it.

I've been to the East coast and also into the cold(Greenland). No desire to go overseas. With so much water to fish in Montana, I don't know why anybody has to travel away to fish.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.