Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Veðrfölnir
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experiencing this for the first time. I got distracted when putting the boats in the water this weekend, and left my fly box on a camp table.

Hours later it was no longer there.

I get to tie a ton of flies for Steelhead season now... Not happy or excited in any way about it.

Wish I had something besides myself to be angry with... LoL

·
Registered
173 Posts
That sucks. Sorry. Maybe it's a chance to upgrade techniques and finished flies? I know that after tying a dozen of any one pattern the last few are better than the first few; I often cut those and start all over. So, maybe a way to upgrade your box? And if already a truly accomplished tyer, that really sucks...

I'm just now getting into steelhead patterns myself, and doubt I'll ever really use the store-bought ones I've collected over the years; I prefer my own if I have them. I'd be happy to send some store-bought and home-ties your way!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I found a loaded nymph box this spring floating in the Madison....no name on the box.
I lost my first fly box in 30 years this summer, it had my name and phone number on it. It was picked up and dropped at the nearest fly shop and they called me...all in the same day. Moral of the story? It never hurts to label things.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Bummer, sorry to hear that... would wreck any of our days. On the bright side (small as it may be) is that you can now tie and restock a new box with all the one's you know from experience get loved the most :cool:.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
I fell chest deep into a muskrat hole on Rocky Ford in Feb. Made it back to my truck. Realized my day pack was nowhere to be found. I think I was walking with it in my hand vs over shoulder when I fell in. Regardless never found it.....I had a lot of flies packed into that little pack

·
"Ride'n Dirty."
1,631 Posts
I got my car broken into and lost it all. A couple of months later a neighbor came to my house and gave my the boxes he found stuffed in his hedges. I got some of my flies back...

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I lost a lot of flies to thieves also. Along with my cell phone, camera, reels. It happened in Washington State, when I lived there. Here in Montana I don't lock up anything. But shit, I only operate with limited gear anymore.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too had my steelhead box stolen from my truck at the falls parking lot back ten years ago.... I miss it dearly and hope someone is intelligent enough to be enjoying the fruits of my labors.... Rat bastards!

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Gear laid down is gear lost most of the time. Back before I was into fly fishing full time. I was changing my set up on one of my gear rods. I put my plastic box down on a log. And when I got up to leave I left it on the log. We walked to the car and left. I noticed that I didn't have it about three miles up the road. We turned around and went back to where we were. I hiked down to the said log and lo and behold my box was still there. This was on the N/F Stilly about 20 or so years ago.

·
"Ride'n Dirty."
1,631 Posts
I got my car broken into and lost it all. A couple of months later a neighbor came to my house and gave my the boxes he found stuffed in his hedges. I got some of my flies back...
I should clarify. My car was unlocked and a car [prowler?] took the stuff from my car. It was still stealing, but it wasn't technically "broken" into.
That said it was one of the few times in my life I didn't make sure my car was locked up before bed. Won't be making that mistake again.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Sorry for your loss and I understand your tale of woe. I get really upset with myself when I do something like drive off from Beda Lake and leave a custom made measure net in the parking lot. Hopefully my fellow fly angler likes that net as much as I did and from time to time rubs a nice coat of boiled linseed oil on the wood.

But from this post, @Hem has a great suggestion, label!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.