Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the west side of Whidbey on Sunday and Kayak Point yesterday. Results were as follows:

West Whidbey - On the water by 7:00 AM and fished till 2:00 PM. Four searuns (11" - 14"), two silvers (a 2 pounder and a four pounder) and my first two pinks of the season (both about 2- 1/2 to 3 pounds). All fish were caught before 10:00 AM so it was pretty hot and heavy then it just died completely. Leland you'll be happy to know one of the pinks was on your popper. The rest were on a baitfish tie of my own.

Kayak Point - On the water by 8:00 AM and fished until Noon. Three flounders, and a @#%*load of sculpins. That's all. Didn't see any searuns with the exception of when I first got on the water there was one rise to a spruce moth which were all over the water. Most likely still about 2 weeks before the action picks up here for cutties but I'm probably going back again next week so I'll update the info.

Also - got a report from a buddy out near Port Angeles who says he's seeing a good buildup of pinks in the 3 pound range out there.

·
o_clarki
200 Posts
Congrats Saltchuck !
The westside of Whidbey Island was mentioned as a good place to get into some humpies in an earlier thread. But it was never mentioned if it was possible to get into them from the beach or is it strictly a boat affair ? The same question I had for the pink fishery in the straits. I am planning a camping/fishing weekend in the end of July and I thought about areas up around Port Townsend and such. Thank you for any input.

Sincerely,
Boatless

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
You can access the westside beaches of Whidbey at Fort Casey State Park, South Whidbey State Park, and Bush Point. If you were so inclined, you could walk all the way from Casey to Bush, with a short detour off the beach at Lagoon Point. As you will see, there's a lot of public/walking beach. I have caught, cutts, pinks, and silvers all along there flyfishing from the beach. Go for it!

Leland

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
o clarki - If you are psycho like me (actually I've been called much worse), you figure out the tidal flow along the beach you intend to fish, check your tide tables and then hike up current on the beach for a while with your float tube, launch and then fish your way back to where you put in about 30 - 40 feet out from the beach. Then you get out and do it all over again. Works well when you find pods of fish. Most of the fish you catch this way are between you and the beach. So you can get to them quite a bit easier by taking the "safe and sane" way and just walking the beach if you prefer.

(Note: Given the wind, wave or tidal current situation this type of float tube fishing is not always a good idea and I don't recommend it for everyone. So you've got to use good judgement and know the area currents before you try it. If you are not sure.....don't try it. You may find yourself taking an unexpected trip out into the boating lanes of Puget Sound if the current doesn't run parallel to shore. As I said earlier, I can be psycho when it comes to SRCs, salmon and steelhead in the salt.)

·
o_clarki
200 Posts
YOU PSYCHO !
:p Just kidding. I am crazy about the salt too, but float tubing...? Actually I only have float tubed once, luckily it wasn't in the salt but in a lake near Mt. Adams. I borrowed that thing from a friend, who gave me no instructions (which, of course, I would not have listened to anyways since I know how these things work:smokin , right!) Well, anyways,I basically ended up really tired and wet by the time I got back out of that thing.
I have and inflatable kayak that I take out in the salt sometimes, but it's more to get me from one beach to another, it's kind of hard to cast out of it, but it works for trolling or still fishing in a lake.
Well, thanks for all the info.
What I was thinking for my weekend camping trip is to maybe camp at Fort Flagler (Marrowstone island) across the bay and try to fish off the beach there for one day, and maybe take the ferry across to whidbey for another day and try it out there for second day. If I catch nothing at least I will explore some new beaches. I am getting way too familiar with my beaches in the south sound.

·
Registered
805 Posts
looking at Flager this weekend as well - might see you there.

See a few use pontoon boats in the salt - as you say just time the tide right and eventually you'll come back to where you started...

Used to know a charter captain out of edmonds who would get a nice king on, jump in his tube and jump out of his boat at Posession Bar....funny to see for sure.

Jim w

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been to Fort Flagler twice. Had mixed results, 1 great day with over a dozen silvers brought to hand and another day with only one LDR.

Leland Miyawaki has probably beach fished every inch of the Sound several times over and may have better info for you on Fort Flagler. Leland if you're out there, any advice?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.