Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently live in Issaquah with my family and we rent an apt. We would like to buy our own home someday but cant afford the prices in King County. I'm a Electrian and make good money when the times are good. We have been looking at Cle Elum as a possiblity. The commute could be tough. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks Jason

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I know someone who lives in Cle Elum and commutes to Preston daily. I'd bet her vehicle expenses (and impact to the environment) far outweigh the difference in rent/mortgage. But, she loves the area and thinks it's worth it.

·
Capt Kirk
764 Posts
We had a house at the pass for many years.There are a lot of people that make that commute. It isnt so bad during the summer but horrible during the winter storms. If you are seriously thinking about it, rent a place over there and try it out first. Places over there are very easy to buy and very HARD to sell right now. If you want some market info...pm me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My dad worked with a guy who lived around Easton and did it for something like 20 years, commuting to Everett. Not too far out from retirement he rolled his car on the pass and was killed. Great guy, tragic end. He thought it was worth it....and maybe it was for him. But I doubt his family agrees.

It's my opinion that driving that drive every day is playing the odds waaaay to much.

·
newt
200 Posts
The teannaway area...not so much the river is WAY BETTER! Just go north of Cle Elum....

I am not sure but i have heard very bad things about the schools there. So if you got kids that would suck.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
If you work in the Seattle area save some time and money and live in the seattle area.

Let me run through a calculation with you. Daily commute = 1.5 hour each way = 3 hours a day x 5 days a week x 52 weeks = 780 hours a year wasted in traffic.

That equates to the equivalent of 32.5 (24 HOUR DAYS) that you could spend with your family. Imagine that. You could have a free MONTH with your family if you lived in the Seattle area and shaved your commute. That's a hell of a deal. Imagine how different your kids would be, no matter what school they went to, with an extra hour of quality time with their dad each day. No home can provide that impact. No commute is worth it in my opinion.

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,348 Posts
I couldn't agree with Jesse more. Live as close to your work as you can. And save that wasted commute time for something more important.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Know several who live and work in Seattle from Cle Elum and Ellensburg. Think about it long and hard, study the costs, remember the winters in Cle Elum are quite long.
I wouldn't but that's me.

Keith

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
If you work in the Seattle area save some time and money and live in the seattle area.

Let me run through a calculation with you. Daily commute = 1.5 hour each way = 3 hours a day x 5 days a week x 52 weeks = 780 hours a year wasted in traffic.

That equates to the equivalent of 32.5 (24 HOUR DAYS) that you could spend with your family. Imagine that. You could have a free MONTH with your family if you lived in the Seattle area and shaved your commute. That's a hell of a deal. Imagine how different your kids would be, no matter what school they went to, with an extra hour of quality time with their dad each day. No home can provide that impact. No commute is worth it in my opinion.
Brilliant! Not that this is a surprise from you. Think about it, those hours invested in family would also likely earn you a lot more fishing passes too. I've recently been the benefactor for a five day fishing pass, a three day pass and another mulit day pass is on the table for discussion. I have been putting in some quality time, which is so damn fun anyway that I'm earning credits for doing exactly what I want to be doing. How does that work?

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts
Buckley, you bet. With having to travel on 167, you may not like that commute either. I don't know if you do shift work or just regular day hours, whatever that is anymore. If you get a chance, I'd take the drive from where you would like to live, on a work day, and see what the commute is like. I don't travel 167 in the AM or PM for work, I just listen tot eh traffic report and it can take time to get to Seattle. And forget I-5 north in the from Fife to Southcenter.

MB

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.