Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
........talk me out of it. First we'll start with the facts. Its a 13' Scadden with bladderless pontoons, it currently resides in my 10x15 storage unit. I'm going back to school, I currently have no trailer, truck, or hitch. If the boat were gone I wouldn't need the storage unit that costs me 125 a month. This boat is gonna be 7+k by the time I finish school. Should I launch the thing and buy one later or suck it up and buy the needed accessories to make it useable. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
why don't you do a little recruiting with some buddies and get them to split the costs of ownership. It could be a nightmare with the wrong guys, but I've been thinking about doing something like that with a couple people I really know and trust who would take care of things.

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
Your pointed in the right direction IMHO. Concentrate on school and minimize your distractions and costs. Your timing for selling a boat is perfect right now, especially with the weather we've been having. You can always buy another boat later. The cost will be about the same (adjusted for inflation) but your earning power as a college graduate will be substantially higher, making the new boat much more affordable.

K

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Your pointed in the right direction IMHO. Concentrate on school and minimize your distractions and costs. Your timing for selling a boat is perfect right now, especially with the weather we've been having. You can always buy another boat later. The cost will be about the same (adjusted for inflation) but your earning power as a college graduate will be substantially higher, making the new boat much more affordable.

K
This makes the best sense!

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Keep it if you can find free storage. It doesn't cost anything to hang on to it then. Otherwise sell it. A student doesn't need expenses like that, but it would be fun to have it and use it during vactions.

Sg

·
I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!
785 Posts
I can gurantee that you would be able to find someone near your college that would let you store it at their place for free, or possibly for a trip with it everyone and then. As a college student/teacher now (masters) I would say hang onto that boat if you can. Its paid for and if you really need money down the road then it is something that could be parted with at a later date...I say exhaust all your options before you decide to sell it.

G

·
Something could happen to you! You could change your mind on fishing someday, or Steelhead become even more scarce. Leave the boat with me for free in my garage. ( This thing will get some mojo on it):beer1:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Which one's Ace and which one's Gary? :clown: ...sorry, sometimes I can't help myself...

Anyhow, pretty much what Kent said, only I'd consider letting the market decide. That is, if you like the boat. Either way kiss the storage unit goodbye. You can always put it up for a fair and reasonable price and be a little sticky. If you only get low-ballers just hang onto it, deflate it and store it free...either with family or trustable friends. IMO you can "pay for" storage with the right person by letting him use it now and then. I wouldn't spend money since you already have the boat as leverage...that's more than a fair deal both ways. Yeah, Stingray or HD forget it, but seems to me that pontoon would take some real effort (or dumbness) to do any real damage to. Anyhow, food for thought if you want to keep it. Otherwise do your best not to take a bath on it (are you stuck paying storage every month it doesn't sell??).

·
Skunk Happens
1,015 Posts
If it breaks down, you ought to be able to stick it in somebody's basement (or garage) for free. If it keeps you from taking less in student loans then sell it. Either way, get it out of that spendy storage space, ouch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Everyone's experience is different but I can say without a doubt that the occassional fishing trip was one of the few rejuvenating breaks I had in college. Borrowing or finding a buddy with a truck shouldn't be that tough and it could be the thing that helps you when you need it most.

Yes, you should focus on school. Yes, distractions should be minimized. Fishing is going to be way down the list of temptations. Beer and chasing tail will probably get you first if you are vulnerable. You either have it in you or you don't. If you can find a way to store it for free, I say keep it as a pressure valve and a reminder of the great things to come. Just my 2 cents . . .

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Sell it and get a smaller, more portable boat that won't require storage or a truck to haul around. You could have money in your pocket and still have flotation device to ride the river. . .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.