Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Newb seeking wisdom
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I want a 10' pontoon.
The most reasonably priced seem to be Creek Company ODC 1018.
I see a few of them second-hand.
Any issues to be aware of?
Any other ideas?
Anyone want to sell?
Thanks,

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have one that has been used and abused. I don't think either of us want it. I just can't bring myself to sending it to the dumpster even though it probably has a couple of more years in it... I don't think I would consider buying another 1018 because I have liked using my fins on my other 'toons in the lakes and the 1018 sits a bit high in the water. For that matter, I have not been using a 'toon at all recently. I like using my inflatable kayak and my prams for most of "my work". If I were looking at another 'toon, I would wait for Costco to carry their $300 what-ever this spring and buy that.
Tom C.

·
Jasper hickman
325 Posts
Well Ive had the 1018 for a few years now, floated a large spectrum of water with it and I some thoughts for you,
I think the 1018 is a great option for a river boat especially if your looking to do any overnight or multiday trips. For a stock setup I think the 1080 has a great storage compacity with a huge back deck, Ive put enough gear for 3 days on the Methow with a dog and 60 beers. Along with storage hes is another topic, the stock saddle bags are pretty much useless, throw them away and go online to "NRS" and get some of their saddle bags made for the gigbob. It seems like the no matter what type of boat u get the stock stoage campartments or kinda feble. I also think that getting one of those outcast seatback the Deluxe model is mandatory, one it make a great place to store loose gear/food/net, but also the side part works great for holding your anchor line witch is allways a pain in the ass on a pontoon boat.

A problem you will encouner is putting rodhoders on the frame, since the frame is 1/4" thicker than almost other frames out there u will have to make custom brackets if you want to put good quality rodholders on your boat. I did the leg work for you and created a great solution. I picked up a cheap large cutting board , then cut it in half and used 'u' bolts to bolt them to the frame, now I had a great surface to bolt rod holder onto and I also have a good flat surface when Im rigging up or cups or whatever, its really tough to get a flat area on a pontoon boat so this is perfect.

Another peice u will want is the seat caddy that bolt to the side of your seat, starts with beverages but u will find all kinds of stuff that goes there.

The oars on this boat are probobly the best in the midrange pontoon boat range, they are full thickness and use the same oarlocks that a raft or drift boat will use, real handy if your on the river and something goes wrong.

As far as the size of the pontoon goes I think they are perfect, not sure how tall the previous poster but I have no problem with fins in the lake, as a matter of fact I wouldnt want them any smaller, a few whitewater sections of the salmon river I was up the the nipples in water but the 1018 popped right and I was able to easlily navigate some class 4 water.

The bottom line is this boat is a great mid range boat, it would be real tough to get more bang for your buck, Ive had this boat all over the northwest and It hasent let me down. Very durable, stable and safe, with some easy mods this boat is fantastic.

If you do get the boat message me, I can take some detail pics for u that will help u out

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got into the fly fishing scene here in Missoula about 3 years ago and now my wife is looking of a 12 step program for me. Anyways, I bought the Dave Scadden North Fork Outdoors Skydomish Sunrise after about the second float of my life. I needed to learn without jeopardizing my friendships so I bought the boat. Now I have a 13 foot Sotar and just don't see myself using the toon unit much anymore. It's in as good a shape as the day I bought it, comes with casting platform, lean bar and stripping basket, as well as transport wheel which is a very handy item.

Link to NFO web site below; let me know if you are interested. http://www.store.northforkoutdoors.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.