Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
sfcc student
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:beathead: So I was trying to use a leach today because I was told that it works real well in this hole I was fishing in. But the leach hit the top of the water and floated a few seconds which was all it took to get it to freeze. Once that happened it continued to float. (probably because ice floats lol). So anyway my question is how do I prevent this from happening. Also the line froze to the eyes of my flyrod every time I casted. I am a college student and very new to fishing so any info is good info.

Thanks in advance

·
2,879 Posts
:beathead: So I was trying to use a leach today because I was told that it works real well in this hole I was fishing in. But the leach hit the top of the water and floated a few seconds which was all it took to get it to freeze. Once that happened it continued to float. (probably because ice floats lol). So anyway my question is how do I prevent this from happening. Also the line froze to the eyes of my flyrod every time I casted. I am a college student and very new to fishing so any info is good info.

Thanks in advance
Put a couple of split shot above your leech and/or use a sink tip of some sort. No real fix for iced guides. Sometimes you just have to hang up your rod and wait for warmer weather.

·
GO COUGS
784 Posts
haha i was gonna hit up the Ronde today cause its dead week and only had one class early this morning... but after seeing and feeling how cold it was my plans quickly changed. Decided to get together wth a buddy and get some nice lessons on tying. Wait a few more months and the weather will warm up and you will be able to fish for days!!

·
sfcc student
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol yea I know it was definately cold. The felt from my wading boots kept getting golfball sized rocks froze to the bottom when I walked. But I was lucky enough to catch my first red band trout.

·
Over The Hill Gang Member
292 Posts
I've heard that Chapstick lip balm applies sparingly on your guides helps. I'm not sure though if it works all that well, as I don't fish in weather like this. I try to use the time to tie flies instead of fishing them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.