Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Flaccid Member
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do i know, im just a stupid kid

well as many are aware ill be staying at the Soap Lake Inn for the weekend as I pound Lenore to a froth with my newfound knowledge of the chironomid (thanks guys). im hoping the passes are clear so our trek across will be uneventful. i couldnt imagine trying to cross in snow conditions with our ford festiva. anyone else making the trek east this weekend? tight lines.

~sean~

·
Flaccid Member
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

well, what a weekend. we arrived at the lake at 9:00am saturday and were faced with gale force winds and about 25 people. the white caps were unreal. i spent about 15 minutes just watching and after about 5 i knew i wasnt going to be throwing my fly rod. man i was bummed. there was only a handful of guys ff'ing and they had the winds at there back because they were in pontoon boat/float tubes. there was even someone in a small aluminum boat. so i whipped out the ol' spinning rod and went to town. it took about 15 casts before my okie rigged chironomids sank into the jaws of a lahontan. man was i stoked. she went about 20in and was spewing eggs all over my waders when i was tailing her. i fished for a few hours using a size 14 red midge with a size 14 black chiro for a trailer without anymore takes. the wind kept getting worse and worse throughout the day. i started experiementing with different chironomid colors all the while seemingly everyone else was hooking up. i think i caught one more before we had to quit at about 3:00 because my dad's hip waders were leaking. poor guy fished for 6 hours with his left leg filled with 40 degree water, talk about dedication. we checked in at our hotel (soap lake inn) and then went back out at about 5:00. still too windy but i brought my fly rod down with me anyways. fishing was slow and it was damn cold. my dad was doing ok on various chiros but i still couldnt touch a fish. so it gets colder, windier, more akin to hell than fishing. as it starts getting later people started leaving and by around 6:00 we were all by our lonesome. we scooted over right next to that piece of steel sticking out of the water (what the hell is that anyways?) and BAM, my dad hooks up. then again. and again. i finally inquire about chironomid color as he is playing another nice fish and i am dumbfounded at his response. right in the town of soap lake there is this cool little tackle shop/liqour store/antique mall. the man there ties all kinds of patterns and sells them in the store for like $1.25. we stopped in there earlier in the day to get my dad some chest waders and we bought some flies (of course) while were at it. my dad picked out these little red chiros with mini foam wings and a little bit of marabou. he also got 2 purple and red ones, size 14 (ill have to post pics). so of course he was using the only red one we had and man was he slaying them. so i switched to a purple and red one and i started getting some takers. so in an hours time he caught, hooked, and played about 7 or 8 20+ inchers and lost more, all the while i played like the slave boy and netted, unhooked and released his fish. i think i caught 2. so its nearly dark and he busts one off. he's pissed. im not catchin any, im cold, its dark so i suggest that we call it a night. he says, let me make 2 casts with your rod. i let him because i know he wont catch one because i didnt have the right color on and its too dark out. too dark my skinny butt. i start walking up the hill and i hear my reel start singing. he starts laughing and i turn around to see him hooked up, again, on my rod. i get down there to help him net another fish. it was dark so it wasnt too easy to tell the size of the fish, he gets the fish close so i stab at it with the net and come up with about 6 lbs of lahontan cutthroat trout. i am dumbfounded and ready to drown in my own jealousy. it was an amazing fish. ive seen a lot of similiar sized salmon and im tellling you that that fish was at least 26 inches of pure, solid lahontan. my god it was beautiful, i slobbered the entire time i was reviving it. it seemed like an enternity but im sure it was probably half a minute between the time i netted it an the time it swam away. that hour completely made up for the 8+ hours of freezing, fishless hell. it was simply amazing. the next morning we sat in the car waiting for there to be light so fishing could commence. we were the first to put our lines in and it started off with a bang. the waters were flat calm except for the light snow that fell silently all around us. today was my day and i got a chance to get even with my dad. the purple variation was the hot one today and i was hogging both of them. one got chomped on so much all thats left is the white foam and a single strand of red thread (and it still caught fish). all in all we released about 10 fish on our own accord this morning. it was an amazing thing to spot the cruising fish in that clear water, cast to them, hook and play them with no one else around. the numbers of fish caught cannot can not do justice to the amazing and fulfilling experience that this trip was. the bite died at around 7:30 when everyone else started to show up. we fished until 9:30 and in the time frame i witnessed 3 fish landed out of maybe 6 or 7 hooked. they were quite spooky, probably because the water was so flat and so clear. the 15 degree drop in air temperature could have had something to do with it also. its hard to say sometimes. it was the best trip in my recent memory mostly due to the quality of the fish and the quality of the lake. i was in a way glad that we got through the wind, the rain, the snow, the leaky waders, all that carp because it made every fish that much more special. i only wish i could have done some more ff'ing,:dunno although this definitely wont be the last time i make it back to lenore. we took a few pictures of the ones i caught this morning, ill post when they are developed. thanks to everyone that answered my questions. hope i wasnt the only one with a fishing story from this weekend.

~sean~

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey C_Fish great report, thanks. Glad you did well. Just wondering what leader setup you and your father were using, as i have yet to master chironomid fishing and could use the tips (leader length, floating line?, etc?) Damn, your report got me all excited, may have to head to the eastside this next weekend. Thanks again
Fly For Fun

"Trout Don't Live in Ugly Places" - Alex Higala

·
Flaccid Member
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

we caught most of our fish in about 3-6 feet of water, but i caught a couple in like 2 feet of water and even one fish that was in water so shallow its fins were sticking out of the water. first thing in the morning we didnt even wade because you could see them finning all over the place in real shallow water.

so i'd recommend a floating line (although i did fine on a sinking line rig), 9 foot flouro leader, small strike indicator, then a two chironomid rig. fishing two chiros really helps you pin down the right color fairly quickly. make sure to fish two complletely different chiros (in color, size, etc) becuase otherwise you might as well just fish one. just tie a second chironomid off the bend in the hook of the first one. i think it happened twice to me where the fish took both patterns. kinda funny. sometimes though the fish will go after the top one and when you set the hook youll hook the fish with the second one, usually in the side. i cant tell you how many times the fish was hooked once in the jaw and once in the side. it makes for an interesting release when the fish gets hooked twice.

also keep adjusting your indicator until you hook up, the fish seemed to cruise at a very uniform depth and youll have your best shot at catching their attention if your chiro is right in their face. i just kept tweaking my rigs until i started hooking up, i defintiely learned how important the little things were. if you go make sure to bring lots of warm clothes, raincoats, windbreakers, gloves, everything. its tough staying with it when that wind comes up and you starting going numb.

~sean~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.