Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please sign this and pass it on...Thompson is the only river I know of the becomes classified water in Oct. and allows bait for a C&R fishery...The arguments are so pathetic but the old boys and their clubs keep pushing it..

Please sign if you care about one of the most incredible strains of steelhead in the world!!!! Or steelhead in general..your support is needed...

http://www.petitiononline.com/baitban1/petition.html

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
GM65,

Please don't take me wrong as I'm not supportive of using bait for C&R stelehead fisheries. The Clearwater in ID has a similar situation.

However, the problems with the Thompson (a river I feel very fondly for) certainly are not substantially caused to the limited mortality from C&R using bait. There are many more issues that cause much greater harm to the wild steelhead of the Thompson than the Vancouver guys using bait. Yes, I agree, we got to start some where but alienating the recreational fisher may not be the best place to start...not just for the Thompson but for every river regionwide that suffer from the downward spiral of natural steelhead.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Signed it...

I would agree with the above statements that the use of bait is not even close to the biggest reason for declines in steelhead, however it is one of numerous variables that I think contributes. Right now all we can do is eliminate these variables one at a time. Unfortunately as many of us know, anglers usually are the first ones to make the sacrifices. Changing fishing regulations is much easier than a lot of the other changes that need to take place to help save steelhead. Eliminating the use of bait is just one less thing for people to point the finger at.

·
Flaccid Member
3,899 Posts
you dont need roe to catch steelhead and if it poses any more of a risk to the fish than another method than it isnt worth it. i've never fished the big T but it doesn't matter to me. i'd love to see the use of bait banned for steelhead period. run a spoon!

·
Registered
66 Posts
spoons are proven to be more harmful to fish than bait hooks. The fear for bait hooks is deep hooking fish, the fear with spoon hooks is eye hooking, labotomizing fish, hitting an artery in the tongue/lower jaw. The size of todays common spoon hooks is monsterous. A 1oz gibbs ironhead in gold (great T spoon) has a 3/0 or 4/0 offset siwash

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
signed it, thanks for posting Gman. ODFW and OSU published a study that showed a 30-35% mortality of juvenile salmonids that eat eggs cured with sodium sulfite ( ingredient in many commercial cures), some after eating only one egg.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.