Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it seems like chironomids are everywhere, in the water, on the water, in a swap, and multiple posts. But here's the $64 question; (pay attention pwoens) how in Heaven's name do you reel in and land a fish with a strike indicator firmly planted on your line at the 20 foot mark? We have all chuckled this weekend at Dry Falls on this subject, but is there a real remedy? I've looked around and done some searches to no avail.

Help Mr. Wizard!!!!

:dunno :dunno :dunno

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I wondered the same thing. There is supposed to be some slick indicator method of using a tooth pick to hold it. When you set the hook, it releases and the indicator travels down the line so you can reel it in. But I don't know. I had to leave before I could drill the boys for info on fishing with Chironomids.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

·
AKA: Gregory Mine
998 Posts
PULL OUT THE TOOTH PICK AND LET IT SLIDE DOWN TO THE FISH. JUST MAKE SURE IT CAN SLIDE OVER THE KNOTS IN THE LEADER OR YOU REALLY LOOK FOOLISH. IT SURE AINT PRETTY OR PROUD TO DO THAT, BUT THATS THE ONLY CHOICE YOU HAVE. I HAVE SEEN OTHER WAYS, BUT THAT USUALLY WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO. THAT OR A 19' NET HANDLE

·
Registered
416 Posts
No-no-no-no. Its easier than that. Use the putty indicator that you wad up into a ball. When it sits on the lake it gets hard. When your reeling realing your long leader in, the hard putty ball hits your first guide and knocks the putty ball loose where it then slides on its own down your leader. If it gets caught on a knot further down your leader, the putty ball with go up again and hit your first guide until that knot passes and then it will continue to slip down your leader again.

"Buck-up, little camper. We'll get through this together." (Better Off Dead, 1986).

Sparse

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
(Sir Izaak Walton)

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're my hero!!!

But never resting, I just read another method for chironomid fishing using sinking lines. I'll be trying both of them come Saturday with my "only true friends" MacRowdy and Whitney.
;) ;) ;)

Roper,

·
jabs
1,138 Posts
I picked up an indicator at the Fly-fishing show that works well. Well I think it works well for using it for deep (over 12ft) chirony fishin. It was the one Phillip Rowley talked about in his presentation.

The toothpick part which is a black plastic do hickey that you feed your leader or tippet through then you make a loop and press the loop you created into the bottom of the indicator with the plastic toothpick. Thus releasing the indicator when you get a strike.

I would recommend these but I don’t remember what stand I purchased them from. I only bought a handful, if anyone knows what indicator I’m talking about I would sure like to know the name of the place I bought them from because I’m getting low.

One drawback is if you break off, well you lose the plastic toothpick. Also I experienced a 40+ fish day at Lenore when I first tried them out and my buddies were using the rubber stop indicators and the toothpick and needless to say when you need to reposition the indictor that many times I would not use the thing. That is one drawback that I can see with these.

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're my hero!!!

If I didn't know better, I'd start thinking you wanna be a roadie, or do you? Gotta get up early to hang with the Roper, O'dark thirty the big red truck is leaving the station...on the water by dawn!

Roper,

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thats what i did at dry falls! Mainly cuz i didnt have any strike indicators, only that yarn stuff that doesnt float... but i still brought some fish to hand. :thumb

Tyler

Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.