Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Now hanging at the other, better new place
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading through Scale Magazine this morning--it's a digital rag out of Germany--and found a line that made me chuckle to myself: "Puget Sound on the North-Western coast of the USA-while humpbacks blow fountains of water in the air not far from shore, majestic American bison roam through dense Pacific redcedar woods."

<snicker>

It's not a bad magazine. http://www.scale-magazine.com/current/v2.3.3/index_Scale_21.html#/0

So, I've traveled around a little bit, not a ton by any means, and have had some interesting encounters with German travelers. The time that takes the cake was this lady on an eco-tour in Belize who had traveled the American South with her husband looking for Jazz. Her hubby was a saxophonist, and I think he wanted to just jump in on some sessions, which it sounds like didn't work out too well. She was bemoaning the lack of Jazz in Athens GA, and basically everywhere in the South except New Orleans (duh), as well as the "awful food," since there was "nothing fresh." They were there in the summer, so I was pretty surprised, since the South I grew up in had farm stands all over with the best dang produce you can get. Then, we got into a discussion of Catch-and-Release fishing that got a bit, shall we say, contentious. She ended up moping most of the trip. I don't think she liked me. If so, the feeling was mutual.

Anyone else have notable experiences with German tourists abroad? My understanding is that they have a bit of a reputation (not unlike Americans I suppose, but I think the stereotype of us is somewhat different).

·
Now hanging at the other, better new place
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should add, before someone gets all b-hurt, that most Germans I have met are lovely people. And, FWIW, I grew up in a fairly "German" household, eating lots of sauerkraut, German potato salad, rouladen, sauerbraten, etc. etc. and there's a town in Brandenburg which shares my last name.

Where the heck did @Hans Enderghils run off to anyway?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I guess I should add, before someone gets all b-hurt, that most Germans I have met are lovely people. And, FWIW, I grew up in a fairly "German" household, eating lots of sauerkraut, German potato salad, rouladen, sauerbraten, etc. etc. and there's a town in Brandenburg which shares my last name.

Where the heck did @Hans Enderghils run off to anyway?
I put him on ignore so I can't help you with his whereabouts. His humor got old fast

·
Registered
294 Posts
I am 75% German and 25%. Irish. Served for USAF in Germany for 4 months at Rhein Main near Frankfurt. Traveled up and down the Rhine River with American Germans from my town. Lots of fun they like bier and wurst. Worked for a Swiss company 16 years and travelled to Zurich several times. One thing for sure the Germans and Swiss enjoyed their vacations a lot booking them a year in advance some times. While us poor Americans with only 2-3 weeks vacation in most cases are limited in vacation time..

N I never fish over there!!

DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Donny, you're out of your element...
4,500 Posts
It's kind of like the editors surfed her Etsy page, grabbed a screen shot of some of the art, and then wrote some crazy stuff about the Pacific Northwest. Hopefully she knows they are using her stuff.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
I was an exchange student in Uetze, Germany back in the 80s. They thought we still traveled on horses carrying a six shooter on our hips. They literally thought we still lived in the wild west from the movies. When they found out that I was an outdoorsman who hunted and fished, they assumed i was using an old breach loader or muzzle loader. They couldn't comprehend I actually used modern firearms and fishing tackle. Add to that farming. They knew I came from a farming family, so wanted to "enlighten" me on current farming practices. When i enlightened them that family farm was bigger than the town we were in and used combines bigger than anything they had, they almost passed out from laughter. BUT, I had pictures I had brought with me that floored them. Was an eye opener for them, that's for sure.

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
On the topic: Do they sell hamburgers in Hamburg?
No, they are donars...and they are awesome!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/street-food-in-germany-doner-kebab-kebap-sandwich.html

Been to Germany to visit a friend living there. I will never go back.

People are suppressed there, no one smiles. You wouldn't either, if you had 50%+ of your income taken for taxes.

People stared at my pregnant wife, as we pushed our little girl around in a stroller. Finally got up enough nerve to ask why all the "gawking"? The reply (with a snicker as if we didn't know) was that people thought I was rich, or someone of importance.

Why? Simple: I had more than one child. In Germany, most can't even afford to have one, let alone two!

Hmm.... I bet it would have been real interesting, If I'd brought along my other two boys (6 & 8 yrs old), who stayed home with Grammy.

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Oh, and if you can find a fishing club to join (pay a fee), afford the fishing license $$$, and be able to find a land owner - and pay him to access his land...fishing is quite good. Very little"pressure" on their waters....hmm...I wonder why?

A lot of people go over "across the pond" to fish, and are actually not doing it right (according to the written law), and find access to fishing easier - but are actually breaking the law (almost always without knowing it).

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Oh, and if you can find a fishing club to join (pay a fee), afford the fishing license $$$, and be able to find a land owner - and pay him to access his land...fishing is quite good. Very little"pressure" on their waters....hmm...I wonder why?

A lot of people go over "across the pond" to fish, and are actually not doing it right (according to the written law), and find access to fishing easier - but are actually breaking the law (almost always without knowing it).
I was lucky. I did have to get "trained" but was free to fish. I didn't pay for any trip, including those to Scotland.

Reactions: generic

·
Make my day
4,820 Posts
In Germany, most can't even afford to have one, let alone two!
Same here. Yet they just keep knocking them out.

Here in Merica, it's our God given right to overpopulate the planet!:(

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
German/Irish ancestry for me. The Irish roots perfectly explains my draw to golf and angling. I'm crediting the German side to my love for hot salted pretzels and spicy mustard. Between USAF duty and travel during my time at Boeing, I've spent a fair amount of time in Germany. I've found them to be about the same as most others around the globe; all in all, good people.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I'm a sucker for all things German; krautrock, guns, bad ass dogs (as photo'd in the Avatar), all culinary delights such as pickles and beer, trains that are nice and run on time (fuck you Italy!!) and of course we can't forget brunettes with compound curves. Ever had your ass chewed by a hot German gal? Boner central my man...

Someone ghost wrote an intro and got it wrong, no worries. Looks a bit like a German http://www.thisisfly.com/ so I'll check it out.

...FWIW we were in Bavaria this Spring, I don't care if I ever angle there, but I'll be back to shoot a Roebuck and some birds sometime...

·
Registered
887 Posts
I lived in Germany for a year back in the early 2000's. I was in former East Germany which was great because there was little american influence. I think the second language was still Russian. They know how to do the Christmas holidays. Incredible people and the food is fantastic as long as you like meat and cheese! Frankfurt and some other cities were just like any US city. Some incredible history and museums. It was close enough to the wall coming down that there was still existing parts of it in Berlin and some very serious museums dealing with the cold war.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.