Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had the occasion to ponder the matter of being skunked and have come to the conclusion that I don't mind getting skunked when steelhead are the quarry and the Spey rod is the tool of choice, whereas an outing that ends in the fruitless pursuit of trout troubles me. Maybe I just enjoy a day of practice casting with the Spey rod, and when steelheading the expectations are non existent to begin with.

I fished the Yak from Irene to Ringer on Sunday with two others, and when we took out there were 3 skunks in the boat. It stunk.

I believe I am ruined and think maybe I should give up trout fishing with a single hander completely. Where can a person live where steelhead can be chased year round?

Sigh.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Just ended a long Steelhead skunk today. I can't imagine how I'd feel if were a trout fisher and was skunked this long. It's all realtive.

Pitchers and catchers,
cds

·
Now hanging at the other, better new place
3,681 Posts
Itchy,

I think fishing satisfaction is all related to expectations. When I swing flies in Puget Sound rivers for steelhead, I have the thought in the back of my mind that I might actually catch one, but I certainly don't expect to. When I fish the Middle Fork in the summer, I expect to catch mostly 6 inch fish. But if I fished it in the winter I'd know the fishing's gonna be tough. Anyway, the Yak can be a fickle sunuvagun at any time of year and it is February, albeit a warm one. It's probably not your first skunk on the Yakima, and I've had my share too. But don't you like the variety of more than one type of fishing (cast swing step)? -Matt

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
If I gave up on fishing because of a bunch of trips that were so called skunkings I would have stopped long ago. But that's not the reason I would ever quit. I'm an eager outdoor person and fishing is the pleasureable excuse for being out there. We used to back pack and I didn't need to carry fishing gear even though I had it and used it at times. When I was no longer able to backpack I much more actively took up fishng and car campiing to be able to get out. Mother nature is who calls and what ever the reason I will try to go. I've only kept one fish in 30 or more years and that was because a friend asked me to bring his son some fresh fish. I've felt all along that the wild fish were too precious to waste.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
I get skunked a fair percentage of my outings. I learn something from each of them and do my best not to get too frustrated. That philosophy does not always work though, I'm a reformed former hot head. Most of the time I fish when I can and not based on the optimal timing or conditions so I figure that based on my windows of opportunity that it happens. If I had any actual skill it would probably tarnish my perspective. It is good to be fishing.

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
I'm a long time steelheader. When I go fishing, I expect to catch them. However, my expectation is tempered by relative abundance of steelhead. I cannot catch the steelhead that simply isn't there. Welcome to 21st century steelheading in what once was the center of the steelhead universe.

Sg

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
A good skunking, happens to EVERYone now and then. By the time I get home finish my first pint, it's all in the past.

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
Happens often enough even when you're "doing it right". As an active parent I can't often time excursions during peak conditions. Big deal. Go when you can, enjoy your friends and the now. (& work toward a healthy retirement with a modicum of decent gear.)
Besides, after awhile skunks don't stink so bad.

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
At the ripe old age of 16, I ran over a skunk. It became impailed on a loose piece of trim on my front quarterpanel. I drove 6 miles to a park and eat burger joint not knowing the little basterd was hanging from my car. A lot of people were pissed at me, including the lovely young lady (blind date) in the passenger seat. :rofl: The damn car stunk for months and she never called me back. I hate skunks. Those are my thoughs on skunkings. Not catching fish? I have no idea how the term skunking became related to that. A bad day of fishing is better than smelling like arse and not getting any.

·
Often visitor to the Evergreen State.
12 Posts
Though I'm in an entirely different state (of confusion?), I'm lucky enough - or pessimistic enough - to always plan for a possible visit to a "back up" trout river or stream where I'm pretty confident of getting the skunk off. Never want to go home stinking. (I don't count bass and sun fish as suitable deodorants.)

It seems to me that expectations play into one's feeling about skunkings. Sometimes I have to adjust expectations from hour to hour, or risk disappointment. In the Eastern Sierras, within a one-hour drive, I've gone after (and have been blessed to catch) everything from 20-plus inch Lahontan cutthroats in a high desert lake to mid-sized rainbows spawning in mid-sized rivers to six-inch wild brook trout in small trickles streams at 9,900+ feet. I have to drive four to five hours just to get there, but sometimes it's enough just to get away from the everyday.

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At the ripe old age of 16, I ran over a skunk. It became impailed on a loose piece of trim on my front quarterpanel. I drove 6 miles to a park and eat burger joint not knowing the little basterd was hanging from my car. A lot of people were pissed at me, including the lovely young lady (blind date) in the passenger seat. :rofl: The damn car stunk for months and she never called me back. I hate skunks. Those are my thoughs on skunkings. Not catching fish? I have no idea how the term skunking became related to that. A bad day of fishing is better than smelling like arse and not getting any.
Winner!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.