Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking on here for a little while, I've honestly never cast a fly but am determined to learn! I'm building a few rods for myself, one of which is a 9ft 9wt 4pc pacbay blank. I'm making foam core carbon fiber grips and read a little about shaping to fit your hand. This is what I came up with.
Please critique it, I'd rather get it right now!
Thanks!
Grant
Plant People in nature Gesture Finger Grass
Gesture Finger Thumb Grass Plant
Plant Terrestrial plant People in nature Shrub Grass

· Beach Bum
1,394 Posts
Grip is such a personal preference is tough to call, my buddy sands most of his factory grips down, but I've never felt the need too. If it feels good, you're good to go. I have felt a couple grips that felt a bit too big.

I'm curious, do you shape the foam core, then wrap it in carbon tape, or a heat shrink tube?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I've read is that you want your thumb straight at 12:00 and fingertips to hit in the 9-10:00 area. I'm brand new to fly so I thought I'd ask you guys.

@SaltyCutt its not tape or shrink, it's a woven sleeve that tightens like a Chinese finger trap. I'll post more pics as I go. Here's one of my first attempt, this was before I tried adding black dye and i got a better foam core on the newer batch so Im remaking them
Wood Tool Gas Metalworking hand tool Metal

Just for you @DanielOcean
Here's one end of the foam I started with haha. I'm using pvc pipe as a mold and the endcap gave me this
Automotive tire Wood Chair Tire Bumper

· Just an Old Man
35,201 Posts
I think everybody hold their fly rod differently. I grip it like your holding on to a hose. or a bicycle handle. I tried the thumb on top but it never took. Some people hold their index finger on the top. It just looks awkward to me.

· Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
I'm not a fan of a foam grip and prefer the feel of cork... personal preference and nothing more. However, as far as your grip design goes, it looks fine to me. I'd really need to cast a rod built with the grip to make any valid suggestions. Plus, we tend to ignore it unless something isn't quite right but the grip also comes into play when fighting a fish.

So... it looks fine from the photos but hands on would be the only way I could give you any valid feedback. ... while keeping in mind I'm not a fan of a foam grip.

· Registered
2,710 Posts
No experience in foam grips. I've built several dozen rods, and on many, I included a flat or concave space for my thumb on the front top of the grip. I like them. Wrap sandpaper around a largish cylinder, such as a bottle or can, and stroke away.

· Ignored Member
12,138 Posts
This appears to be a solution looking for a problem. Also, I don’t see how you could produce these grips in a manner where they would be economically feasible. Perhaps a small niche market for those that have disposable, unneeded cash.

During a day of fishing I will use a variety of casts in varying conditions that will require me to adjust my grip on the fly (no pun). If I was using a grip custom formed to be held in one particular way I feel it would be a hindrance to my casting.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys I'll just make some more practice casts with a dowel in the grip and adjust to suit. I might turn the center a touch smaller.
The idea started as a full wells and I made it bigger around, and it felt good to me. Being new to fly I was seeking opinions
@KerryS I'm not trying to take these to market. They're for me. Building them has been fun. If it was strictly about dollars I would've ordered off the shelf and been done but I'm a builder, an artist, a craftsman - I build what I can to say I've done it. Wood, metal, fiberglass, leather - I enjoy it all.
I saw a couple mentions of dislike for foam grips, I hate them too, these get covered in carbon fiber.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Moderators, this might be a better fit in rod building, please move if you want.
Here's a progress picture from last night for anyone interested, I should have time to get the carbon on the pieces today. Don't mind the two different colors of foam, it all gets covered.
Jeans Outerwear Arm Leg Human body

· Registered
910 Posts
I'm a bamboo rod maker without a lathe, and I use pre-made cork grips. Being around fly fishing and rod making for a long time, I've learned a few things about grips. As a rule of thumb (no pun intended), when your hand grasps the rod, there should be a 1/8" gap between the palm of your hand and the third finger. Without this gap, your fingers are pressured into your palm, causing you to apply more wrist pressure to hold the rod, which causes fatigue. Grip shape is a matter of preference and casting style. I personally like a half-wells shape with a taper at the end of the grip, but that's just me. Your full wells design might be more comfortable for you.

I've never used a foam grip, but see no reason why it shouldn't work. I always like to see people trying something new.

Tom

· dirty dog
5,329 Posts
Welcome to fly fishing GrantA
I have a grand daughter that is 7 yrs old and I ask her about a fly rod that would fit her (7'6" 3wt) she said grandpa it has to have a cork handle.
She is a 7 yr old and is already a purist "it's got to have a cork handle"

· Custom Title
12,145 Posts
It's a novel concept & it's fun to innovate, but seeing that I've been around a while & am pretty much "old school" cork works for me & will ever remain my favorite. Have fun with your new approach!

She is a 7 yr old and is already a purist "it's got to have a cork handle"
She's a chip off the old Grandpa, Gary!

· Jerry
603 Posts
I guess I am too much of a purist. Fly rod grips are supposed to be cork or turned wood. I have one fly rod with a foam grip. I use it when I am taking a kid fishing. Foam grips say “cheap” to me Sorry. If you have the ability to build a fly rod why would you want foam core carbon fiber grip?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'm not quite sure you guys are following. It's not a foam grip like squishy eva on a Walmart rod. It's high end composite material. I'll probably use cork on my fiberglass blanks, maybe not. In case you didn't see it in the other thread here you go
Wood Tool Hand tool Household hardware Metalworking hand tool

· dirty dog
5,329 Posts
I can see that it is not a cheap foam grip, and it looks pretty, but again it is not cork.
Cork ages with the rod and user. Cork get mojo that makes the rod into a personality, not just a tool.
Another ? I have. Does this material get cold, keep it's grim when wet and cold?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Gary, I can't argue with that it just seemed like a few folks at least thought the foam was the finished product. I like cork too just wanted something different.
As for grip, no problems there, very grippy even wet. Fish slime will make these or cork slippery though.
I can't comment on the cold part (I live 30 miles north of the FL/GA line) but I've heard a steelhead guy say that they are colder than cork initially but warm up quick and hold warmth. Maybe the foam, not sure there. I'll test it on one of our brutally cold days hehe

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.