Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
19D
193 Posts
You could use it. However there are a couple things to think about. First, the sewing thread is not made to lay neat and flat like tying thread. Second, it doesn't say what size in diameter the thread is (3/0, 6/0 or so on) so you may have trouble tying smaller flies with it. I just buy Unithread as it is not ridiculously expensive and it has 25yards to the spool, which lasts me quite a while. That said, that thread thread might work very well for certain size flies (I would guess that it is equivalent to 3/0 which is used for larger flies, but someone else probably knows for sure).

·
NEVER wonder what to do with your free time
984 Posts
I'd buy real "fly tying thread". I've heard, but have not verified, that sewing thread is not as colorfast and can degrade in water. And like Whit said, fly patterns are gonna recommend thread of a certain diameter. With the sewing thread you're not gonna know how close it is. Start off with the real stuff to save headaches and then do some experimenting later. Oh, and let us know if it works....

And good for you for getting into tying. I started last year. The first couple months weren't fun at all; almost gave up on it. Kept at it though, and now I'm good enough that it's a lot of fun. Not to mention addicting.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Photosenior, here is my nearly useless two cents. Go to a fabric/craft/hobby store and ask a few questions. See if some of the friendly staff can recommend thread with good colorfast dyes, smaller diameters and whatever traits that fly tying thread may present. For ultra fine diameter stuff, I agree with those above, the fly shops will have this specialized stuff in stock for sure. You'd be pleasantly surprised what your local fabric/craft/hobby stores may have that is the same material (antron, silk, polyester, nylon etc) that are in the fly shop threads. Same general theme for things like beads, yarn and such. There are also often fake fur that can be used for some patterns. What I can say is that I have gotten a lot of stuff from fly shops that I just think I have to have to tie various flies. I also have found many great priced deals on things in these fabric/craft/hobby stores that I can get ten times the volume for one tenth the price.

For some of the saltwater flies, larger steelhead flies and streamers I'm not worried about using sewing types of threads that are heavier duty. I don't think the fish give a shit about where you got your fur, beads, thread or head cement (nail polish) or anything else when you've just stuck them in the mouth with a fine point barbless hook that penetrated smoothly and deeply and is slowly working them toward your position.

Best of luck! Show us your art work.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have to agree with mumbles on this one. I have bought numerous items from craft and dollar stores. I ussually end up getting actuall fly tying items as the seem to be a bit higher quality. You will not know unless you try. Most important.....Get creative

Other items to look at:
Foam
Beads
Yarns
Foam,Foam, and more Foam
small metalic wire.....makes great ribbing material
Glues, Epoxy, and paints
Markers
Needles for applying rubber legs to popers

And many many other items

Just go look around

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the input.
Part of this question comes from watching an old fly fishing movie where the English man was using sewing thread and waxing it to make his flies. the other part of my curiosity is that i have a good bit of it...
Thanks for the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.