Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, what a bizarre weather year so far. First it was the Winter that Wasn't then the Spring that Didn't followed by the Summer that Isn't. Now Fall burst onto the scene with all the earmarks of what appears to be premature ejaculation! Geez, what's next? It is a chilly 38 degrees here this morning with a cold breeze making it seem even colder.

In past years I have never fished here in August because it was always just hot as the hubs of hell and water temps were brutal for fish. But this is the 3rd morning in the month that I have seen temps in the 30's and I have been on the water at least a dozen times. I have sure enjoyed getting out but I am suspicious of what might be in store for October. Normally mild and colorful with crisp mornings and warm days perfect for fishing, fishing in late October may be more problematic this year. My solution to this budding enigma will be to double up on my September outings. Just in case.

Ive

·
Steve
2,349 Posts
"My solution to this budding enigma will be to double up on my September outings. Just in case."

Excellent plan! We are getting subtle signs of Fall here as well, not to the extremes you are having, but a change for sure. I need to cut more wood...and fish more.

·
Dues past due
234 Posts
The weather patterns seems to have changed so much over the years that we should almost expect it to be constantly different and unpredictable. Wait, isn't it said that "climate is what to expect and weather is what you get"?

Would that mean the climate is changing? No, that's a farce. I expect the patterns of the mid-20th Century to return any day now.I just need a bookie that will take my bet.

I'm sure we could have a 10 page argument on this topic if we wanted to...

·
Steve
2,349 Posts
The existance of, or not of, global warming and climate change is not the topic here.....it's finding more reasons or excuses (as if one really needs an excuse) to fish more!

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Ive, I think you are correctly assessing the omens in choosing to fish as much as possible this Sept. After a warm and dry Feb, we had a wet and persistent Spring here on the coast. June was very wet. July & Aug here have been OK. I expect Oct to be a wet one, and won't be surprised if the Fall months here get slammed by a continual series of Pineapple Expresses.
However, I'm hoping for a stellar September. Its nearly always my favorite month of the year.

Last Winter's "El Nino" conditions supposedly went neutral this summer, and now the prognosticators are saying that "La Nina" conditions are developing.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
A glorious time of the year . . . small-bore shotguns are quivering with anticipation in the vault, hunting boots are moving restlessly around in the closet, and my Steelie rods are twitching in their cases. Must be affecting me, too . . . I've been practicing "not shaving" . . .

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
FWIW...... Yesterday's temperature here at this time was 98.bawling:
Today, a pleasant 71.:thumb:

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Three days ago it was 94 degrees, two days ago it was 96 degrees, yesterday it was 84 degrees and today it is 57 degrees and raining out. Everybody I saw when I went out was wearing winter type clothing. I'm still in shorts and tee shirt. I must be a little nuts(no comments).

But after the 80 degrees for over a month this feels just about right.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
The troops just back from Iraq are cold and if it gets colder will be wearing their winter clothes. If it gets over 75 I'm too hot. I love falls crisp days and I thank God that I don't have to cut wood anymore.

·
Registered
197 Posts
And here I have been thinking winter was great,,, spring was fantastic and this has been my kind of summer. It's been the fist winter in the seven years I have lived back here. Winter that was really fishable, the best spring and sumer, hey guys I like it and hope for more just like it.

Skilly

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,159 Posts
Right on, Mr. Ficklin!! I've even got my moustache waxed up and the tweeds dusted off; the hounds are prepped, and the little 28bores are bright and shiny! And the grouse are getting nervous:eek:

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Aye, Alex, and ye seem a man after me own likeness. The last fine hound is across The Rainbow Bridge & I've yet to find her equal, but the 28 is waitin' and the old curmudgeon is willin'. A wee thump on the shoulder, a swift swing, and a fine shotgun easy on the carry is a man's fine friend. Perhaps the wee Jack Russell will find them & I'll be doin' the retrievin' this year (If they were sqwerlz, I KNOW she'd find them, lol.).

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I'm liking these cool mornings.

I usually wait until September to start my sea-run cutthroat fishing however I felt comfortable with recent cool mornings in sneaking in a handful of early trips and found fishing very much like September - love it!

Have no idea how long these conditions will last but plan on continuing to enjoy what is served up by the weather gods. If we are fortunate enough to have a nice "Indian Summer" plan on weeks of sea-run fishing and upland hunting. If the weather turns nasty I just have to chase ducks and geese - don't think the dog cares as long as she gets out.

tight lines
Curt

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Heading to Idaho around the 10th of September for 3 weeks of insane trout fishing. Bring that shitty weather on! I love the Blue Wing Olive hatches! Sorry Ive! Well, I do like that warmer early fall weather.... I lied.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Hey enjoy it all. I just went through 9 months of winter like weather. It turned nice in June and then it rained off and on for two months. It was almost nice in August. I guess that I should get ready for 9 more months of winter like weather. But this is Montana where the fishing is great if I could get out. But I don't mind the weather as there was only one cold day last winter when my truck wouldn't start. -24 degrees out that morning.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Three days ago it was 94 degrees, two days ago it was 96 degrees, yesterday it was 84 degrees and today it is 57 degrees and raining out. Everybody I saw when I went out was wearing winter type clothing. I'm still in shorts and tee shirt. I must be a little nuts(no comments).

But after the 80 degrees for over a month this feels just about right.
Ya, you can take Old Man out of WA, but you can't take the WA out of Old Man!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.