Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Now fishing on weekdays too!
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really needed to get my WaterMaster onto a river. It would be my first time on the oars outside of fishing lakes. Mumbles viewed my plight in the Watercraft Forum and offered a time slot for a Yakima float. He would say that it's always better to fish with someone, but let's face it, you all know making that offer is an investment of your time with inherent risks involved. JesseCFowl was able to join us, and it worked out for two floats Friday, and one Saturday morning.

Trying to make a long story short, these two guys provided enough knowledge and clues for me to pull it all together by the last morning. I never felt that handling the boat to avoid trouble was that big of a deal, but handling the boat, paying attention all the time, and employing good fishing techniques was key.

Three float progression: 1) two hits; 2) many hits, and three small fish; 3) more hook-ups than hits, five larger fish. The last day was a real blast!

Key learnings:
1) WaterMaster fins suck in 3900 cfs flows, (should have brought my force fins, water too high for wading anyway)
2) "Hoppers close to the bank" means within a foot, not two feet away
3) Use your fins to maintain a pace a bit slower than the current for proper presentation
4) Fly sets the pace, followed by leader and line, minimal slack line
5) Have easy access to a camera
6) WaterMaster fins suck when you tighten the straps and a strap loop breaks (Mumbles, I still have that short cam buckle strap you loaned me)

Thank you Mumbles and JesseCFowl for taking a chance on a greenhorn.:thumb:

I caught this 17" 'bow during the last float.

View attachment 33934

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Awesom time. Where are the rest of your photos? You must have taken dozens. You brought a lot of energy and excitement to the trip. It was my most productive trip there yet.

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
Nice 'bow Gregg! Sounds like a great weekend with a couple great guys!

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Very cool. Sounds like you guys had a blast. I know what fine company Mumbles is, and it sounds like Jesse is at least his equal. I need to get my 'toon out there with ya guys next time.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Gregg, good for you getting on the river. Sounds like you had a couple good "guides", but that was great of Mumbles to help put your trip together. You didn't say where you floated, Jesse's picture kind of looks like Lmuma Creek. You made some good observations and I'm sure you learned a lot and had a great time! Your first float on a river your not sure what to expect, everything seems like it's happening really fast and at 4,00cfs, it is. When the flows are below 3,000, everything slows down and you have more areas to fish with the gravel bars. I bet your already planning the next trip!

·
Now fishing on weekdays too!
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure thing Jesse. Sportsman is the "man" though for RSL, but I have learned a thing or two.

Sportsman... The floats were: 1) Ringer to Red's 2) Umtanum to Mahre's 3) Red's to Mahre's. Of course I'm ready for the next trip! I have some open vacation days between 9/7 and 9/17. Still thinking about the Methow, or perhaps back to the Yak.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Hey Gregg, that ain't me, never said or even thought that! I've only been up there twice since Jim and I joined you: I got my you know what handed to me both times....caught a few, but it was tough fishing. I'd love to join you on the Yak : my back would hold up for one long day, not sure about an overniter. Man, it's been a year since I've fished it and it's killing me. I'll Email you. Fred.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Greggor, let me know when you need to scratch that Yakima outing itch. I really don't have much that I can teach you, but I'll float along. Sometimes it is better to have lousy company than no company at all. I had a blast and continue to be impressed at the quality folks that I've managed to meet from the WFF membership.

·
1,411 Posts
Nice post about your Yakima trip with Mumbles and Jesse and the pic of the trout you caught.

Yeah, Mumbles is a good man to fish / hang out with no matter what others might say about him......:clown:

Nice of you and Jesse to get Greg familiar with his boat Ed.

Nothing is worse on a fishing trip than ruining your first rowing experience on a river..

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Greggor needed no real instruction, he was off and rowing/fin kicking like a champ in no time. I had larger and more powerful fins so I could slow my flow a bit easier than him. In those three floats I touched my oars for less than a total of 20 minutes and generally then only to quickly ferry across the river from grassy undercut to grassy undercut.

RT, when we fishing? It has been a long time.

Funny thing, our three boats are very different. Jesse has a Silvertip, an older model that is probably most like the current Grizzly. My 2005 Kodiak has a longer bow section and shorter cargo deck area than Greggor's newer Kodiak. Three great crafts for speding some quality time on the water. We each had at least one float that really blew our doors off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.