Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say thanks to the guys at Red's flyshop (Craig, Connor, Gary) for the fly recommendations that put me on this fish. I was starting to believe those 20''ers didn't exist.

Fished the bank, making sure the fly was within a couple of inches of the grass, then worked on a nice twitch. It almost felt like giving the fly a little action was bringing back the bass fishing glory days of my youth.

The fish were just slamming this set-up. It honestly was one of the best days that I've had on the canyon.

Chubby Chernobyl for the win.

View attachment 33926

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Jesse, looks good, glad you had the good day and company too.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Good times. In my three floats I netted 3/10/5 the largest 18 much fun.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I guess I'll have to get off the sticks and soak a fly in order to catch a fish! Nice `bow, Jesse:thumb:
Alex-yours is the lament of a drift boat owner. I have one as well and spend a lot of time on the sticks when I use that boat. You will notice in the pictures above that they have a couple of Watermasters, which is a great way to fish a river by yourself and fish all the time (they do great with fins and an occasional pull on the oars.) I also got a two man Scadden that is ideal for my wife and I. Since she is a 100 lb weakling, I can put the fins on with that boat as well and fish most of the time while she is fishing/reading/sleeping in the front seat. In fact, the big cuttbow in my avitar was caught this way on the Methow near Twisp! Rick

·
"Ride'n Dirty."
1,631 Posts
Dear god, please get me out of this freaking office and let ME catch a 20"er too. Nice work man. Did it jump (once, twice), did it bull dog, give up the goods man!

·
FUBAR
971 Posts
Very nice Jess, looks like you all had a great time.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dear god, please get me out of this freaking office and let ME catch a 20"er too. Nice work man. Did it jump (once, twice), did it bull dog, give up the goods man!
Kind of didn't want to talk about that part.

It fought hard and stayed deep. I was in the WaterMaster so I just rode down the river with the fish running line upstream. I'd work in line while keeping side pressure. As soon as I saw it I knew I was in deep shit. It was going to be pretty hard to get that fat boy in the net, on the third try I managed to grab him... could not believe it.

And... the huge downer on the celebration was the fact that I hooked him in the eye. I was using a barbless hook of course and it came right out, but I felt like an ass. Hope that fish recovers so someone else can catch him another day.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
My 18" fish was pretty acrobatic, but the really FAT 16" fish I caught near a camp ground really worked like a champ. He went around and around my water master and put up at least three great runs with acrobatics before I slid him into the net. Inches is not necessarily a true measure of a fish's quality. I envy Jesse's 20" though, seems that hog took some wrangling too! Jesse is gonna need a bigger net.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Looking at an old fat dude with his shirt off is a definite turn off. Can't see past that enough to look at any fish. Just sayin'!
What kind of dudes with their shirts off are you looking for? Just sayin'.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.