Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wave from the 8.8 magnitude Chilean quake is supposed to hit the Westport/Grayland beaches at approx 2:57pm this afternoon, with a possible height of up to 6 inches. I'd go down to the waters edge with a yardstick and measure the surge, except that it probably won't be discernible. So far there isn't hardly any buzz about this expected "non-event" for NW beaches.
I hope the razor clams don't freak out and go hide!

Latest estimate of the height of the tsunami wave that will hit the WA cost here on Grayland beach is 0.78 feet, which is less than ten inches.

The surf is about 10 feet out there, so I'll be looking for a long surge pushing up a little higher on the beach.

·
YeeeeHaaw
142 Posts
I got on the computer earlier this morning and saw that our trip over to Newport's seafood and wine festival might have to be canceled, according to the news media. But, after a little more research I found that it's not going to be a problem. I should of never of mentioned it to my girlfriend because now she's having second thoughts on going.

·
YeeeeHaaw
142 Posts
BTW... Seafood + Wine + Festival + Oregon coast = Awesome!
Definitely gonna make that a yearly outing.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
False alarm. Tsunami was an absolute "no show." Nothing happened here. I observed the beach for 45 minutes from 2:55 pm until 3:40pm and saw nothing out of the ordinary happen. None of the many shorebirds on the beach acted strange. The clam digging wasn't as crowded as it would have been, though, thanks to the clucking mother hens. Seafood & wine festival sounds like it was a winner!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
aww man, waxed the board for nothin' .. You know the "dudes" in HI were disappointed as well. No new Mountain Dew commercial this week.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Hey Jim, cluck cluck cluck, you are welcome!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts