Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this vise is listed on the Umpqua website. I was told they were manufactured by HMH. And yet they have Tiemco or (TMC) stamped on the side of them. Confused? I am. Were these a one off? Did they over shoot the price point? Does anyone own or have experience tying on one of these. I had never seen one until the other day. Didn't even know they existed. Avidmax has them listed for $1000 bucks. There are two on eBay, one for a grand and one for $800. If anyone knows anything about this vise, good or bad, please do share. Also interested in opinions from those who have never tied on it.

I did a quick search and I think @Norm Frechette started a thread on it last Jan. when it was a prototype, but the picture wouldn't load so I can't verify its the same vise.

Here's their description:
This is the most advanced true rotary vise. This vise will give you the feeling that the jaw alone is floating in the air by itself. The C-shaped offset arm, which supports the jaw at the other side from the tyer, allows maximum clearance behind and around the hook. The vise stem is adjustable up to 25cm in height. The pedestal base features a magnetic dish, suction mats for additional stability and three hexa-wrench holders. The TMC Vise comes with the standard jaw, which will handle hooks from 32 to 1/0, and enclosed is a second set of large jaws that will handle hooks from 4 to 8/0. Included in the box are a set of English/Japanese instructions (well translated), the vise itself with a second set of jaws and a set of three Allen (Hex) keys.
Tool Machine Electric blue Metal Camera accessory

·
Registered
111 Posts
I believe @Adam Saarinen has this vise. I admire Tiemco's quality, but the design of this vise doesn't appeal to me. Wrong combo of features for me.

The vise has been around for a while. There was discussion somewhere about an early version in the recent past to which you may be referring. I don't know how someone came up with the idea that Tiemco subs these to HMH.

·
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HA! @Adam Saarinen , I guess I have seen one before! I had just never seen one in the flesh. Do you love it ( say 1 out of 10)? Is it weird not having an arm coming off the rotary wheel? Would you buy it again? Anything you don't like about it?

@Bugsy which feature combos don't do it for you?

Let me ask this. Would this vise be more appealing if it cost more than a peak but less than a barracuda? New.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Microphone Material property Audio equipment Machine Tool
Here's my little baby I got about 2.5yrs ago, was looking on the web to see what tiers were coming to our show, seen the name Markus Hoffman, looked on YouTube & liked the vise he used! Mate in the flyshop found 1 in Sweden through Guideline & gave me a price of 500 euros, found out from Markus they were 700 euros in Sweden! All is true, i've tied #32 & even #6/0 on standard small jaws!
Microphone Art Audio equipment Machine Wood
Human body Microscope Gadget Scientific instrument Gas
White Art Gadget Audio equipment Machine
Microphone Gadget Camera accessory Audio equipment Cameras & optics
Art Camera accessory Microphone Machine Audio equipment
Black Gadget Audio equipment Gas Machine
Audio equipment Camera accessory Wood Gas Gadget
Material property Gas Audio equipment Barware Gadget
Vise can be put in any position you want!
Microphone Gadget Output device Audio equipment Material property
It can even kiss it's own ass!
Material property Gas Audio equipment Metal Composite material
I love everything about it!
Gas Composite material Technology Machine Metal
It truly is a beautiful vise & i use this for most of my tying, my MP Swiss Master is used mostly for all my pike flies! A few top tiers in Sweden also use the TMC ll, don't know of anyone else in Finland owning one, but there may be a few, lot of kick ass tiers in Finland, winter is long! Seen the vise used mostly by realistic & semi realistic tiers!
Insect Arthropod Pest Wing Twig
Here's the 2nd realistic fly i tied about a year ago, took a picture of the insect on our front door! Went old school, no UV resin, only locktite superglue on Hedron bigfly fibre for the legs, done my head in!
Arthropod Insect Twig Natural material Pest
Posted it on flytying forum about 1 year ago, went totally unnoticed, one guy said that will fowl in the cast! Why in the [email protected]#k do most of the people on a flytying forum only ty fishable flies but never go [email protected]#k'n fishing? Hope this helps, took me a few beers & many smoke breaks! Cheers Adam

·
Googlemeister
2,712 Posts
I did a quick search and I think @Norm Frechette started a thread on it last Jan. when it was a prototype, but the picture wouldn't load so I can't verify its the same vise.
are you talking about this one?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Gonna rephrase my little drunken out burst, should have probably said half or almost half! I know many people who ty flies just can't get out as much cos' of the age they are & many people just can't get out for other reasons! But all of those people don't pretend to know everything but do nothing! Every forum probably has a few, pretenders! Was never intended at anyone in particular!

·
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gonna rephrase my little drunken out burst, should have probably said half or almost half! I know many people who ty flies just can't get out as much cos' of the age they are & many people just can't get out for other reasons! But all of those people don't pretend to know everything but do nothing! Every forum probably has a few, pretenders! Was never intended at anyone in particular!
Oh come on now Adam. No need for apologies. I think that might've been the "Fly Tying" sub forum rant of 2017. A lot of truth in what you said there. I appreciate the honest review and time you put into that post. I laughed my ass off and then pulled the trigger on a new vise.
That long legged fly is pretty cool too, but it would foul first cast....:p :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
View attachment 157764 Here's my little baby I got about 2.5yrs ago, was looking on the web to see what tiers were coming to our show, seen the name Markus Hoffman, looked on YouTube & liked the vise he used! Mate in the flyshop found 1 in Sweden through Guideline & gave me a price of 500 euros, found out from Markus they were 700 euros in Sweden! All is true, i've tied #32 & even #6/0 on standard small jaws! View attachment 157765 View attachment 157766 View attachment 157767 View attachment 157768 View attachment 157769 View attachment 157770 View attachment 157771 View attachment 157772 Vise can be put in any position you want! View attachment 157773 It can even kiss it's own ass! View attachment 157774 I love everything about it! View attachment 157775 It truly is a beautiful vise & i use this for most of my tying, my MP Swiss Master is used mostly for all my pike flies! A few top tiers in Sweden also use the TMC ll, don't know of anyone else in Finland owning one, but there may be a few, lot of kick ass tiers in Finland, winter is long! Seen the vise used mostly by realistic & semi realistic tiers! View attachment 157776 Here's the 2nd realistic fly i tied about a year ago, took a picture of the insect on our front door! Went old school, no UV resin, only locktite superglue on Hedron bigfly fibre for the legs, done my head in! View attachment 157777 Posted it on flytying forum about 1 year ago, went totally unnoticed, one guy said that will fowl in the cast! Why in the [email protected]#k do most of the people on a flytying forum only ty fishable flies but never go [email protected]#k'n fishing? Hope this helps, took me a few beers & many smoke breaks! Cheers Adam
Flyvise yoga right there.

·
Googlemeister
2,712 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.