Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
dead drifting into thread drift
5,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Inspired by some of the reports that have been coming out of this section recently, I decided to accompany a buddy out to "his" spot to try for some Tiger Muskies...

I started out with a few of these:

After working a ton of structure on one area of the lake, we worked our way back to another area, working heavy structure as we went. Finally, there appeared a very large Muskie about 10-15' in front of me. The problem was, it was eyeing my fins (I was fishing out of my Commander...fins are great for micro-adjustments). I cast to the side of it, and it turned on my fly briefly then shot away....ok ok, so they're here. By this time my heart rate is pumping. I continue working my way down this bank tucking my fly into all likely looking areas. Low and behold, I spotted another (again, not really following my fly so much as just hanging out in front of me). It did an about face and casually headed off. I managed to get a cast off in front and a foot or two off to the side of it and started stripping. It made an about face and casually followed my fly about an inch or two behind. At about 15' out, I saw the mouth open and the 8" fly completely disappear...whoa, holy fucking shit, did that just happen!?!? After it turned, I strip set hard several times and it was on!!!! A relatively short fight on "El Bandito", as my Epic Bandit has so been dubbed, and here's the result.

followed and swallowed, fuck yeah!

lightning did indeed strike on my first Muskie outing and I'm fucking hooked!

I think I might be due for several thousand more casts before my next one now...

·
5,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No, i didn't have tape measure...I will next time/s though. I do have a couple of slightly blurry pics from a better angle that better illustrates length. Girth was just fat...

I'll throw up the other pic to see what folks think. I did try to replicate how far apart my arms were on on a tape measure and I got around 45", so I guess 40-48"....tough to say though because bias is unavoidable.

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
followed and swallowed, fuck yeah! ... lightning did indeed strike on my first Muskie outing and I'm fucking hooked!
God almighty, I miss those fish. I grew up in the Midwest fishing for them. "The stalk and smashing-to-bits is the drug". What an awesome species of apex predator animal. Congrats Randall!

·
5,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks folks! I think my heart rate is still elevated....and this was two evenings ago!!

Did you happen to get a length measurement on it?
SF

here's a slightly better angle, but still tough to tell. I didn't get too many pics as I wanted to make sure it both stayed in the water and I got it revived appropriately. I am going to get a better net (at least one that's knotless). I also didn't really want to lift it out of the water (especially not with the grip I had on it...no support)...it's tough to think of all that when you're in the middle of it. Only when I went back to look at the photos did I think of all these different things. But, it didn't take long to revive, so I'm pretty happy about that.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Been out now several times with Eyejuggler at Lake Tapps. We poked and hooked two tigers first time out, but nothing the last two times. It's now a mystery. Good rush though! Do you think early morning or late evening best? I'm starting to think we may be fishing to shallow....

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.