Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been out for 2 weeks and I won't be able to go on a "real" fishing trip until this coming Sunday so I needed to get a quick fix before then. Went out on Monday morning at 8AM and spent about 3 hours plying the waters of "lovely" Lago Verde. Better known in Seattle as Green Lake.

Slow start but I eventually caught a few 10" planters and 3 good sized 15 - 18" carryover rainbows. What was most interesting however was that just as I was preparing to land and release one of the little 10" fellas, the water underneath the fish right next to my tube exploded. The little trout was sent flying about 2 feet away. While I pondered how to clean the inside of my waders from my resulting momentary loss of bladder control, the little rainbow swam around in circles, stunned......but not for long. About 3 seconds later it disappeared in another giant splash and I caught a glimpse of its tormentor. A long (28 - 30") fish that appeared to be a Tiger Muskie had it in its jaws and made a dash for cover. Needless to say my 5x tippet lasted all of an additional 10 seconds before it decided it had had enough and I said goodbye to the muskie, trout and my wooly bugger.

I'm not planning on purchasing wire leaders and going to Green Lake searching for any more Tiger Muskies so if anyone else is interested in catching one of these fish.....I think you might want to check out this lake. Not sure how many are in here but I have yet to see anyone fishing for them on this particular lake. FYI the fish hit at the southeast end of the island near the junction of the weed bed, the drop off and the island debris (concrete, tree branches, etc.)

Good luck if you go and take a picture if you land the darn thing. I'd love to see it so I can prove to my wife that I'm not ready for adult diapers just yet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sounds like they carry quite an appetite around with them! I'm aware of these being in Green Lake but wasnt sure about trying to actually catch one. We used to fish Northern Pike in Canada years ago and I recall one absolute, you needed steel leader. As far as a pattern or fly to use, sounds like they'll take a 10" trout no problem so I'm guessing a big Clouser or maybe a Shiner / Shad type. (Knowing Muskies eat duck up north, maybe a little rubber duckie with a hook hanging out it's rear end) To play what sounds like an honest 10 lbs. of fish, Sounds like a bigger rod may be in order too. I hope someone lands one of these, that would make for a great photo & I for one would love to see it.. Zane

·
Registered
114 Posts
I knew they were in there too but thought they were in the 18-20" range when planted last spring, 157 of them. I had heard that they were to put more in this year also but not sure when. Maybe they have eatten so many trout, that they have grown that much already? Is that possible? Don't they use those big stream fly's with a small spinner on the front? Guess their not to shy either, huh? I think I might of pee'd my pants too!!! haha
Jim J.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just checked the WDFG website regarding tiger muskie plants in Green Lake. They were planted at about 20" but reach 30" by their second year so this would be about the right size for the fish I saw. If you want to read more about their planting in Green Lake here's the site (www.wa.gov/wdfw/factshts/tigermusk.htm)Good luck to anyone trying to catch these guys.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The supposed point of the Tiger Muskie program is some kind of attempt at water-quality/fish-population management, with sportfishing opportunity being something of an afterthought. Down at Riffe Lake (I think, or Merryweather?), the tigers were planted to thin out the rough-fish population, suckers and pike minnow. Yes they would eat the trout and salmon too, but it was believed their basic feeding ecology would target the rough fish more, which do eat a lot of salmonids, so you'd have a net benefit in the end. If anglers enjoted catching a few muskies, well what the hell.

At Green Lake, grass carp and other vegetarian and omnivorous species were planted to control algae, millfoil, and or other invasive plants, and the tiger muskies are supposed to keep those populations in check, which is why they only planted a few of the tigers.

Who knows if WDFW actually knows what it's doing re all this, but they like to do one thing and another. The tiger muskies are supposed to be sterile, eating machines, with a very fast growth-rate, so I wouldn't be too suprised to find out some of the plants had grown big enough to frighten a man dangling his legs under an intertube, particularly on a steady diet of carp, sunfish, and planted trout.

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,347 Posts
The heck with the trout opener, I'm going Muskie fishing!

Thanks for the note, it was what I needed to hear!

BTW, there is usually space in my canoe, so that one does not have to be dangling in the water as bait.

Rob :LOVEIT

·
Ignored Member
12,139 Posts
I remember a thread on this topic on another site a year or 2 ago. Muskies biting humans is rare but, has happened on occasion. If I remember right there was a few web site that documented these bites. Also, if I remember right most were fishermen getting bit while removing a lure. Can't hardly blame the fish for that. http://www.sioutdoors.com/stories/fishbites031100.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.