Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to the Cle-Elum area yesterday with no success. I had 4 or 5 trout (one really nice one) rise up to my skwala and not take it. Granted, after a long winter with no dry-fly fishing, I was quick to pull the trigger on a few of them, but why wouldn't they take it? I was really working hard on presentation but that still wouldnt do the trick.

Lots of BWO's coming off but I didnt have any because the Yakima River Fly Shop was closed :beathead:

Otherwise is was nice to get out and fish dries.

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
I saw a fish miss a take on a real Skwala in the Lower Canyon on Friday. It was in slow water and the fish didn't even make a second attempt at the bug. So they miss/refuse the real thing from time to time as well. Sometimes a fish that's been getting plenty to eat will rise just to check it out and see if it's what it wants. Maybe it was tired of Skwala. Maybe it had tasted the barb on too many Skwala patterns recently. When that happens, try changing up your pattern to a different variation or something completely different altogether. I find that trying to understand why these things happen just drives me crazy, so I just accept that it does and go from there. And I always have a few BWO's on hand.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was around Cle Elum on Sunday as well and found the fish to be very picky. I cast multiple patterns at some rising fish and got nothing - skwala's, BWO's, midges.

While it's frustrating to not suceed, it's comforting to know that it wasn't just me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was out Saturday with my 12 yr old son. We grabbed some March Brown patterns at Yakima River Flyshop. They seemed to be ignoring my Skwala drys around mid-day, but a little later in the afternoon my son saw a nice one rising about 10 ft off the bank in some deeper water. He floated a small March Brown dry down towards it and BOOM! had a nice 15" cut smack it. He did a great job and landed the beautiful fish. Of course the camera was in the truck 100 yrds away. We a had a couple other hits, but that was the only fish landed. Dad 0, son 1. Perfect.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I typically have found that the trout take of skwalas is a pretty solid. However that said I have also noticed that as they fish have been fished on some they become more demanding on the presentation and/or pattern. While you didn't mention what sort of pattern you were using I have found that a "bug" floating flatter in the surface film rather than on top will be taken more agressively. Also dropping down in size or color change will trigger better takes. While it is usually best to try to match the size of the natural bug when fish begin refusing my stoneflies I go to one size smaller than the natural.

However with mass hatching mayflies a size bigger can sometimes be better.

Tight lines
Curt

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey Kevin, It could be a # of different things, some that we will never know, but some things to try... #1) those fish usually don't like wasting too much energy for the reward, so those fish refused your offering for good reason, and before changing patterns or sizes try a different angle, get up stream ( if possible) and try a downstream drift, which will be a fly first presentation v.s. a presentation from behind or 90 degrees, will help reduce the chance of the fish seeing your leader and if possible try this approach before any other. #2) If that dosen't work try lengthening your leader or dropping a size or two on your tippet. #3) The high riding stone fly patterns seem to do better in fast water and the low riders (more realistic) in flat water. #4) Don' forget the "TWITCH", sometimes a bit of a twitch or two to show some movement just before the fly gets to the fish does wonders. #5) Try a medium or large size soft hackle as a dropper or a floating nymph behind your stone, I have had days where they will false rise like you are describing and have been very frustrated and then one day I tied some large soft hackles and used them as a dropper and they wouldnt leave it alone. #6) Pressure has a ton to do with fussy fish, if they have seen a bunch of pressure your first approach is critical, sometimes you only get one chance and the first one is usually the most important, kinda like a job interview. #7) One of your jokester buddies clipped of your hook points just to *?)%$ck with you, always check your points...always...and don't forget to get even.

·
Registered
63 Posts
try varying the colors if it was a fly from a shop nearby they could of seen it before changing just one of the colors could mean the difference between a limit or none

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I am so tired of fishing nymphs lately that it is driving me nuts. I need to find some trout looking up. But the weather has been so nice lately that the bugs don't want to hatch. I go down to the river just about everyday, but there is nothing happening. With all the feed in these Montana River's there should be bugs coming off. But nothing is happening. Maybe I'll just put on a big fly and play like they are hatching.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.