Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an Aire 130D and do single and multiday fishing trips as well as whitewater with it. My trailer is over the wheels and depending upon the angle of the ramp I can sometimes put-in/take-out on my own--but if it is too flat then I am unable to handle it singlehanded. I am looking to solve this problem by either moving to a tilt-bed trailer or a between the wheels deck. Before I pursue these options I thought I would reach out and hear what advice/experience the WFFF cognoscente might offer.
My thanks in advance for your insights.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is far easier with a between the wheels design.
Derek--Thanks--watching you take out your Streamtech (which is larger than my boat--and was more heavily laden than mine usually is) is one of the motivations for this question. What I don;t know if how well tilts work as I may (???) be able to just convert my current trailer into a tilt.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
You'll be pulling the boat up an incline - the rear roller will help but only initially. The advantage of a wheels-under bed is storage opportunity but again, being well-organized makes the difference between a good trip and an excellent one.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
I recently switched my cataraft to a deck over wheels. I have had a lower deck between wheels for years. loading the cat was tough because of the tight fit between. I had a gentle make me custom deck end and upright rollers so that winch cranking would make loading easy. I often launch and recover solo because my girls are still pretty young. The deck over is better for me for now. This works for me, your results may vary.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recently switched my cataraft to a deck over wheels. I have had a lower deck between wheels for years. loading the cat was tough because of the tight fit between. I had a gentle make me custom deck end and upright rollers so that winch cranking would make loading easy. I often launch and recover solo because my girls are still pretty young. The deck over is better for me for now. This works for me, your results may vary.
I have a roller and winch and once the raft nose is over the roller I can typically manage OK unless the ramp is REALLY flat. One of my bigger problems is on flat take outs where I have to manhandle the nose of the raft onto the roller--and at my age it won't be getting any easier.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
I have a roller and winch and once the raft nose is over the roller I can typically m
How about using a yoke that lifts from below, rather than the front middle of the tubes? Hoe about a leverage rod that elevates your nose onto the trailer. I learned both from friends here.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How about using a yoke that lifts from below, rather than the front middle of the tubes? Hoe about a leverage rod that elevates your nose onto the trailer. I learned both from friends here.
Ed--thanks for the replies. I think I am accomplishing what a yoke might already. As you can see in the picture below I have a chicken line that goes around the boat and then comes around/under the bow tube distributing the boat's weight. I clip in to it below a knot that is essentially at the the level of the raft's floor which keeps the center of gravity low when it is being winched. I'm not sure what you mean by a leverage rod--more info? Picture?
BTW--I am not talking about dealing with a loaded boat like below (which is on the Deschutes and has very friendly ramps and I'm OK solo--although I cant get my unloaded boat--with just two seats--out alone at the Lewis St ramp on the Sky).
Water Boat Watercraft Water resources Vehicle

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
@jeff bandy told me about the lift rod...I have a cataraft. Notched board with foot angled forward toward trailer. Notch on front cross bar. As I crank, board foot digs in, forces nose up until rollers engage with tubes.

Your chicken line still pulls from a point mid tube, right? You might do better with a pull point that is beneath the raft front tube. More lift during the pull.

Reactions: brat
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.