Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went yesterday and fished the Tilton downstream from Morton. Didnt see another fisherman on the river. I caught 1 11-inch fish on my second cast with a #16 Pheasent Tail nymph. That was the only fish caught between me and my partner. I saw on the WDFW that the river was planted with 3600 fish does anyone know where these fish were planted, we were fishing what I thought was very nice water without any followers, hits or signs of fish. Very pretty river with nice access. Anyone have any info on this river??

·
Registered
701 Posts
I used to fish the Tilton when I was just out of high school. I remember catching fish as large as 16" on size 14 Royal Wulffs and Adams Parachutes in late summer during the termite hatches.

I doubt the river is doing well right now due to runoff from the mountains. I am sure by late July the fish will be a little more active. If you want to fish right now then you might think about deep nymphing or deep streamer stripping. Dry fly action is going to be more difficult to land the bigger fish found in the deep holes. Don't stop trying yet, there is really good fishing considering it is a westside stream.

Good Luck!

I fish therefore I lie.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
I used to fish it religiously. They used to dump the fish just north of Morton, off a logging road. Only one problem if it's still planted there, the locals fish it out in a matter of seconds. I mean, I watched people when I was younger taking 8-10 fish each. Told the local police and nothing was ever done (this was circa 1980). Not sure if they still use the same dumpsite for the fish. There are alot of good places to fish there, and also down towards Onalaska. There is a small RV resort just outside of town that all the locals stop and fish. I normally park there and head upstream. You'll find some nice flywater there to fish. There are a few spots, but I can drive to them, can't give you exact directions here. I know there's one just outside of town that holds alot of small fish, but biters to a dry. Great with a small weight rod.

Email me, what's your schedule like? If you drive, may be able to show you some spots if I feel up to it. Still crippled, so hurt pretty bad depending on the day. But was my favorite river to fish for trout. Just hated seeing it raped like that. Luckily nowadays there are cell phones.

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
Flydog - when I was in High School I fished that river a few times. Once I fished a small feeder creek right under the Hwy (bear creek??) and followed it down the the main river. This is not too far from where if flows into mayfield lake. The water is very deep and not wadable there, but just enough room to work a fly rod\line. The creek has quite a few tiny trout and I found some 12-16inch cutthroat right where the creek hits the river. Bushwacking required.

·
Dana Miller
667 Posts
Flydog,

A friend an I went there Saturday AM. We fished right at the town park and just upstream a couple hundred feet. There were lots of locals using bait at the park. I wanderered upstream a ways but there were already some fly fishers on the holes upstream.

We managed to catch 6 hatchery rainbows between us. There are also juvenile coho in there that you need to watch for. We caught all of our fish on Royal Wolffs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.