Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking in only a few more months, the brats will be in the rivers. How bout we have a winter-run fly swap. I've never done a swap, but would be in charge if someone gave me a little info on what to do. Hows 12 flies, due in about a month, December 1. Whos interested?

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
I'd be into it. I'll do a Winter's Hope Spey, as its fun to tie, and a blast to look at.

I would suggest that we do one fly per person in the swap, as that way each person gets one fly each, and one of their own back. And 12/1 is a good length of time to be tying.

Rob
---------
Genetic pollution damages wild
stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
I just got done tying a fly box full of flies for an auction for charity, tied up flies for about 10 different clients, and just got done hosting 3 fly swaps of my own (2 int'l and one US). But I'd be more then willing to tie up another 12. Can't decide what I'll tie as of yet. May do a jock scott spey, but may do the go to fly pink bunny leech with trailer hook. Not sure as of yet. Will let you know.

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
How to swap flies

In the swaps I have done, someone, generally known as the "swapmeister" sets up the details of the swap: number of entrants, number of flies, when they are due. But mostly the Swapmeister gives up his address to have the flies mailed to him for dividing and mailing back to the participants.

Participants usually give some offering to the swapmeister for the job, either extra flies, special flies or some mighty fine materials (say, some jungle cock nails, some hard to find hooks, or some spey hackle).

Now Crump has done all of the above, except for the address, and I can do it, as I have done many, but I like the idea of spreading the wealth around. I also recommend that someone collects the email addresses of participants, and then emails their addy to all the participants, so that the addy doesn't become a part of the permantent archive of washingtonflyfishing.com.

Rob
---------

·
...has several mistresses.
667 Posts
How to swap flies

Ohhhhh, is this for Salmon/Steelhead only? If so, alright, count me in for some Flashers, GP's, Standard Prawns and maybe a few of my super secret steelhead slaughter flies, or do those go to the swapmeister? :DUNNO

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like we have some interest. You can all send me your addresses to [email protected]

From there I will send you back my addy. If we have more than twelve people that are interested, we could possibly have two groups. Im excited to see how this works. Bring on the flies. Thanks for everyones input, and for making this happen.
-crump :THUMBSUP

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
How to swap flies

Oh, and generally one only ties one pattern so that each member can get one of the pattern. So if there are 15 tyers, then one ties 15 flies, one for each tyer.
---------

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.