Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Scott Emmert
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions please!

I am curious what your prefered tippet brand and or material is for general trout fishing and why. For years I have used Cortland. I have read quiet a bit about other brands, Frog Hair, Umpqua, etc. but have never tried them. It certianly wouldn't cost me much to test out a few other brands but I've always just felt like sticking with what I know works. If any of you have any input on other brands that may perform better for general use I would love to hear it.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
I have used Dai-Riki standard as my tippet for the last couple of years, mostly based on the price, but also the nice dispenser that comes with each spool.

But unfortuantely, the tippet seems to be both very UV sensitive, and abrasion sensitive. Not to mention that the dispensers are not worth a dang. I have had more tangles, and fusses with them.

I also use Maxima material for just about everything but tippets, unless I am using 1x or above. I have not been thrilled with the coloration, when clear is so available. Again, the choice was motovated by price.

I am replacing the whole lot with Rio Powerflex or Powerflex IGFA for saltwater. Nice clear color, the little elastic band seems to work superior to the dispenser, and is far lower tech.

Probably my bigggest beef in the tippet game is with Varivas, who markets tippets down to 12x, which is not possible given the defination of 12x. 0x is a tippet .011", each "x" is .001 off that, so that 8x is to be .003". Well Varivas has decided to redefine tippets finer than 8x and so has got the following tippet sizes: 9X=0.0028,10X=0.0026,11X=0.0024,12X=0.0022, and the 12x is really coarser than 9x in the normal method. What a lie to the unsuspecting fly fisher.

Rob

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

Well I use Maxima for my tippets. I tried some Scientific Anglers Tippet Material,but found it wanting. It curls up at the knot,which makes me mad. So I Just use maxima. It is a little stiffer but with my bad eyes it is eaiser to string in a size 18 hook. I just don't like the finer tippets.

Jim

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I use Maxima Chameleon and UltraGreen. Surprisingly, the brown Chameleon has not proven a problem and I like its abrasion resistance. If I am fishing tiny nymphs (18 or 20) I sometimes loop on 5x Deceiver. Most of the time I use 8lb Maxima or 4lb Maxima with other sizes for specialty situations. I say pick something you like and get to know its strengths and weaknesses. Presentation is more important than tippet size or color and I think those who go below 5x do so unnecessarily.

Randy

·
Registered
410 Posts
I use SA for my tippet and Maxima for my butt section. I have fished exclusively in western montana for the last year and I can tell you right now that tippet size does matter. I just got back from a two week trip to Missoula where we fished all the local rivers and the Missouri. The fish on the clark fork wouldn't take anything on top unless it had 6x attached to it. As for nymphing, 4x is the smallest I ever go. I also think color matters too. An example of this would be this from this spring. I was at a lake in northeast Washington that had large cruising trout sipping(sp?) bugs off the surface. The fish were easily visible, because of the clear water and the light color of the lake bottom. Most of the fish could be sight nymphed with long leaders and small flies, also you could fish on top the same way. The one thing I noticed was that if I made a bad cast, and put my leader in front of a fish, the fish wouldn't be bothered, but if it swam near my butt section of chameleon maxima, it would notice it and swim along side of it, and not over, even if that was the same direction the fish was swimming.

I think the tippet size and color matters. Good luck and good fishing
-crump :THUMBSUP

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I suspect your 6x tippet gave you a longer drag free float and size had nothing to do with it. I have fished the Missouri this year and nymphed 2x, 4x, and 5x and caught fish on all only changing tippets to match the fly size. If you don't believe me than I challenge you to do as Leonard Wright and super glue 20lb maxima to a hopper and toss it in the water. Drag is probably the real issue.

Randy

·
Registered
410 Posts
I suppose you are right about the drag free drift, but if 6x makes it work, then so be it, as long as Im not breaking off any fish, than Im all for it. Nymphing I use heavier stuff like you mentioned.
-crump :THUMBSUP

·
Registered
53 Posts
hey Scott

i use fluorocarbon for the tippet ( maxima for the butt section).
Last year i used orvis but it's way too expensive. This season i've used Vanish -it's really cheap and does the job; however, since I use it in the salt, i replace the tippet each time out ('cause i suspect it deteriorates rapidily in the saltchuck). It holds blood knots well - i've not lost any coho through breakage on the leader/tippet connection. I've lost one fish because of a break at the fly/tippet connection ( mono loop) but it was a very vicious strike ( chinook methinks).

cheers

nic

·
Registered
152 Posts
Can anyone tell me the difference between "standard leader" used for bait fishing and Tippets?
Also does anyone have problems with leader line floating instaed of sinking? I have tried sand, spit, leaves etc to get the hand oil or whatever of the leader and still many times I see it floating adjacent to the fly.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

They have this stuff out on the market called sink. It is made by the same people that make Gink but I think it's called Sink or something like that. You put it on your leader and it is supposed to make it sink.

What's bait fishing? :DUNNO

The difference between Standard leader?, and tippets is just the size. It is the same thing,leval leader. Tapered leader is a leader that is heavy at the butt and small at the business end. Tippet is the line that you add at the end to make you leader longer.

I hope this is clearer that mud for you.

Jim

·
Registered
152 Posts
Jim
The leader line is the stuff they sell in stores like Fred Myers.
Just standard leader material. I know about the tapered leader, but I was referring to the extension leaders.
Bait fishing ....a hook and worms etc. not flies....
I don't understand why it is necessary to buy the "special stuff" that are mentioned in the tippets discussion, so I must be missing something.
This stuff you mention that causes sinking of a tippet line, can you buy this stuff and fly fish stores locally.I have never seen it on the shelves. I will look next time for sure. Its annoying not to have the leader sink on a dry fly set up.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

I just buy the leader spools,like Maxima 3lb,4lb,5lb,etc. the clear stuff. It costs about the same price as the so called tippets.

One more question. If you are fishing drys,why do you want your leader to sink. If your leader sinks it will most likely pull your dry down with it. I usually put floatant on my leader so it won't sink. Hence "Greased lining". But I leave the last 6" clear so just the business end sinks a little. Besides with my eyes I need all the help I can get to see those little flies. Tie on a Griffin gnat and then try to find it out in the shade on the river.

Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.