Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the guys who use both techniques. One hand and two hands rods.
When do you decide to use your spey rod or not?
Do you bring both and use them on the same river during the day?
In my case, is just to reach that 3-6 meters more with my cast that I can't get with my single hand rod, in just a couple of rivers.

Regards

·
Friendly
2,004 Posts
Since fly fishing is my main hobby, I decided that I should try to be familiar with as many aspects of it as possible. Picking up a Spey rod has been a new and great challenge, along with tons of fun. It is kind of like adding fly tying to your hobby. The more you know how to do the more enjoyable the Hobey becomes.

Some times I bring a Spey rod and a single handed rod it just depends on the type of water I am fishing.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Spey only when chasing metal. Not for distance reasons. Less wear and tear on the body when casting and lifting sinktips. Also, rarely room for a back cast on the rivers that I fish. I still use a single hander when after trout.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
I fish the two-hander because the single-hander was too limiting on the steelhead rivers I fish. Doesn't make much sense to drag it out there anymore. I use the single-hander for trout rivers.

Leland.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I sold my single hand steelhead rod a year or two ago and purchase a switch. I usually bring both my spey and switch when steelheading. I'll use either, it just depends on the situation, backcast room, size of run I'm fishing and technique that I want to use. My switch is so light that I can use it single or double handed.

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
I prefer using my spey rods, but use my single handers from the boat for trout fishing and sometimes when were floating and I want to nymphs or throw streamers from the boat. Spey casting is more fun to me and the main reason I like it is that I injured my shoulder and its easier on my body spey casting. The two handed rod or switch rod is just another tool! I just enjoy casting it over my single handers in general!

G

·
Damn switch rods have invaded my single handers and taken them over for trouting to now...with one exception..so far...Kickboats, watermaster, then the single is in but even that can change with some of the smaller switch..

Everyone has mentioned reasons to choose one ...didn't see that your fly is in the water allot longer and i.e. more chance to catch something as your not wasting time with backcasting so thought I'd throw that it too..

Kind of obvious but a light went off for me when a guy told me..."Don't forget a spey rod is still a fly rod"....Just because you have one doesn't mean you can't still overhead cast it....want to see some really long casts???....Versatile tools all the same....
Still find that some of my best days have been swinging a spey for summers and then busting out the 000 or 2wt to fish the ribbons for their little cousins...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.