Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
fish-ician
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to go fishing today but it was too cold. I awoke to 22 degrees with a predicted high of 32. I'm sure it will be colder up on the river - freezing guides and all that stuff is no fun. But I went anyway. I got up to the parking lot and froze my tail off getting my waders on. I tied on a black and olive spey fly and hiked to the river. It was high, too high. I should just go back home. But I decided to try a few casts. I went out waist deep and started flinging line all over the place, but I got my rhythm going. I decided to go deeper and changed out with a longer sink tip. I changed to sort of an intruder, you know, your first attempt at a new fly. It was ugly, but so was the weather. On the second cast, the line came tight. Fish on! Brought in the fish, a beautiful wild hen. Popped the hook out and headed back out. Suddenly the sun came out and I no longer had to dip the guides in the water. Five casts later, my line came ripping off. After a long run the water erupted. Big fish. It took about 20 minutes to get the fish in as it got hung up in some grass and I had to venture out to get it loose. It was a hatchery male. Bonk, and now there are filets in the fridge waiting for dinner. Because of the high water and lack of bank, it took a lot of effort to bonk the fish and bag it. Not fun with my back and sciatica, but worth it. I headed back out again and about 10 casts later and I am into a hatchery hen. I let her go back to water as it was too difficult to bonk another one. I fished for another hour with nothing but a good day overall.

Lessons learned: It is never too cold to fish and use those ugly attempts at tying a new fly, they just may work.

Another lesson learned: Leaky waders happen again. I have a pair that I sent back to Orvis 2 months ago for repair as they were leaking on the seam in the crotch and right leg. I got them back 6 weeks later with some glue on the seams, at a cost of $30. I have fished with them about 6 times is all. Funny part was that I received the invoice to pay for them about 4 weeks after I got the waders. I thought the repair was under warranty, but it was not. I contacted Orvis just yesterday to discuss the situation and after discussing it with them I gave them my credit card to pay for it. And today they leak again.....

Wayne

·
Driven by irrational exuberance.
1,656 Posts
That's the stuff! I'm going out tomorrow, hell or high water. Actually, high water is likely not going to be the problem. I have my chemical heat backs for my toes and pockets, I have my ice paste. I switched to Slick Shooter running line. And I have an ugly new fly. I hope I can keep the reel from freezing up. I hate it when the line comes tight and the reel doesn't give.

I have a similar problem with some expensive Cloudveil waders, so I'm back in my old Simms, still going strong after a factory repair for $0 as I wait for Cloudveil to decide what do do.

·
It's all good.....
393 Posts
Way to go Wayne! Sounds like a good time...well except the 22 degrees, freezing guides and the leaky waders anyway! I love it when it gets cold......not as many people on the river!
Enjoy the fillets!

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Lessons learned: It is never too cold to fish and use those ugly attempts at tying a new fly, they just may work.
Wayne
Hot damn, great report Wayne. Great advice too. Never to cold to fish and ugly flies might work. Damn inspirational post indeed.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Great job!! I also went fishing, but at a lake on the westside. Only one other boat out there before me so I was not the only one freezing. I got my waders on at home since I didnt want to stand outside in the cold after driving an hour in the warmth of the truck. Water temp was 39 but warmed up to 44 by 11:00. Sun was shining, no wind so smooth as glass. Drank coffee to keep warm but ended up releasing 16 out of 20 yesterday from my pontoon. BTW stop by the Coffee Creek Espresso stand. They stay open till 5:30 pm. Nicole makes a great coffee and a smile to warm your toes. My net was not available but pic attached is of a average fish yesterday from the phone. The fish moved to deeper water (20-21') from Wednesday when I release 12 out of 15.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Well I believe it is to damn cold to even go outside. I got up this morning to 7 degrees and now it's 4 degrees. Way too damn cold for these old bones. The last four days have been 12,14,37,17 and now it's 4 degrees out.

Oil starts to thicken at these temps.

Jim

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Great post and story telling, got me excited. thanks for posting and the others replies. Bob

·
fish-ician
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bonk the hatchery fish, please...
That was my intention, but because of lack of a dry bank, no rocks, and my sciatica, it took about 30 minutes and a lot of pain to bonk the first one. I figured the second one was beyond my abilities at the time. I promise to bonk them forever more though....

Wayne

·
fish-ician
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For all my big talk, when I saw the wind reports for NC Oregon this morning, I went back to bed. Should have gone yesterday.
It is not too cold to fish today, but it is way too windy. I am dangerous enough with a spey rod in my hand without the wind. This kind of wind is asking for a pierced ear, or other piercing.

Wayne

·
GO COUGS
784 Posts
Man Wayne sounds like a great day. I braved the cold down at Shumakers on the Ronde today, 19 degrees down there today. Had frozen water on the waders but the time i got back to the car after a unsuccessful day of steelheading yet again. but ill be back out on tuesday as long as it does not snow! Glad somebody was catching some fish in the cold! :)

·
Formerly FlyCatcherman, formerly Don_The_Fly
105 Posts
I did get out on the Sky this last Saturday for about four hours. Only fished around Ben Howard. Didn't see any of the boats catch anything and all i managed was two worn out chums. kinda surpised me that they would ever try to take a fly as they were really worn out. the weather was cold, had to keep dipping my rod in the water to get the ice off of the guides. Had a hand warmer for each pocket and woolies on undermeath so it was just fine. The cold doesn't matter as much as wind. I will Take the chill just keep the wind away!

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
We had a high of -4 today. After a low of -19 last night. It is way to cold to fish even for humans. Stream fishing is out as all that is there is ice over the top of the water. And all the lakes have ice covers on them so floating around on a frozen pond is out.

It was -35 out in the Big Hole Valley this morning. Can anybody say Deep Freeze.

Jim

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.