Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend and I have a Sat and some of Sunday to get away and fish for a bit. Would like to camp (looks like it may be ok on the Dry side). I'm wondering if it's too early for the Naches or little Naches? Took the kids last summer late to little naches, and we really enjoyed it (didn't fish much though). We'd be wading.

Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did, but must admit I'm still learning to read them, I now see the Zero Damage line looks like flood stage? What is wadeable flow for the Naches? 1500? The little Naches is less than 1000 I see but, to your point likely not worth the trip. Guess I'll try the upper yak as perhaps with no rain and moderate temps the flow will stabilize below the levels showing today. Was just looking for some new water. Any suggestions on camping in the Cle Elum area? We ususally stay in Ellensburg at a motel....

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Here is a quick google search. A friend recommended Eagle Valley to me, but I've never stayed there.
LINK to Google Search

I have stayed at the newly re-opened Ellensburg KOA the last weekend of April / first weekend of May. Great location.
Ellensburg KOA

For information about various stretches of the river check the content area for shops and shuttles. I'm new to they Yakima but every one of the shops have been most helpful.
WFF Content

Hope you two have a great time.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ummm, did you check the Yakima flows? Warm rain in May and early June = High river flows....Yak looks blown too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did, under 1,000 in Cle-Elum seemed ok but I don't know enough about the flows to know better. That said the research I've done on the site seems to suggest that at 1,000 it's still is wadeable. Was thinking with rain lessening the flows may stay stable or slightly lower by Sat.. I'll be sure to check before I leave.. Other suggestions are always welcome.

·
Learned skills from George Dickel
481 Posts
I did, but must admit I'm still learning to read them, I now see the Zero Damage line looks like flood stage? What is wadeable flow for the Naches? 1500? The little Naches is less than 1000 I see but, to your point likely not worth the trip. Guess I'll try the upper yak as perhaps with no rain and moderate temps the flow will stabilize below the levels showing today. Was just looking for some new water. Any suggestions on camping in the Cle Elum area? We ususally stay in Ellensburg at a motel....
West Fork Teanaway Campground isnt far away and is free. where the west fork road splits from main teanaway road, go 250 yds and turn left. its owned by a timber company and will accomodate hundreds

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks John, appreciate it sounds like my kind of place! I'll check it out.

ROBL thanks, you're referring to Quincy, Burke et. al right? I have a toon but it's a one-man, I do have a $100 raft that may work if the wind isn't awful..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice, we waded the upper Yak in some places and found a lot of small fish (I am assuming salmon and steelhead smolt perhaps, didn't look too close as I wanted to get them on their way quickly) on dries and one huge white fish on nymph rig. Ended up camping at the West Fork campground, it was great except for the 10 minutes of fireworks some idiots let of at night!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.