Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had fun. They dabbled in the bait thing, but saw the error of their ways. 14 fish to hand between the 2 of them, many more hooked and lost. All on a fly. Big thanks to all the SSFF people working the event!

1,000,000,000 stocked rainbows+2 fishy kids=1 happy dad

·
Registered
63 Posts
did you keep the fish? i hope you did in one of those pics the fish looked like its guts where about to come out. neat pics. look like ya had a good time!

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
I've been looking forward to this report as I knew it was a trip on your calendar. Looks great! Did Matt jump in at the vise and tie up his next bug? Looks like everyone had a blast. Congrats, and thanks for sharing.

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everyone!
Ed-Yep. Matt tied up a Carey Special. It looked pretty good! I think I need to organize a kid get together out at Munn Lake this spring. With both boys pretty stoked to fish, I think I'm about to have the best summer of my life.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Jason, tell me when and I'll try to get the girls there. They are pretty excited. We were supposed to fish at a small lake this Saturday afternoon but I was not up to it. I could not stay vertical. It would be good to get the girls around other youngsters fishing. Right now they are probably limited to indibobbercator action, but if that keeps them interested in hanging with their old man then I'm game.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Jason,

Here's the article from the Tacoma News Tribune:

LACEY - It wasn't as easy as shooting fish in a barrel, but for the estimated 600 children who showed up to cast their lines into a pond chock-full of rainbow trout Saturday, it probably was a lot more fun.

Organizers say the Lacey Family Fish-In, an annual event for 11 years at Long's Pond, might grow to include 800 children next year because of its growing popularity.

It's billed as an opportunity for youngsters to learn how to fish with the help of their families and about 40 volunteers. Wave after wave of children, in groups of 100 at a time, lined the shore with rods and reels and fished for about an hour. There was no limit to how many fish participants could catch, but they were allowed to keep only two. Some planned to freeze the fish as soon as they got home.

Long's Pond, which is part of Woodland Creek Community Park, is a year-round youth fishing pond for those 14 and younger.

Coordinator Keith Underwood, who also works for the Go Play Outside Alliance of Washington, said the event helps first-time anglers be successful so they can fish later at Long's Pond or other areas throughout South Sound.

"It gets them off the couch and out the door," he said.

The day began at 8 a.m. and ended about 2 p.m. Before each group of children took to the shore, they got a lecture on angler ethics and water safety and a lesson in casting. Admission was free. The rod and reel, which the children were allowed to keep, cost $5.

In addition to the rod-and-reel area, there was a designated area for fly fishing.

That's where Jason Small of Olympia and his two sons, Matthew, 10, and Andrew, 7, were busy casting and catching fish.

Matthew, who said he has been fly fishing for about six months, was having so much success that he kept raising his fish-count goal for the day. By 11 a.m., he had caught five fish and was headed to six. After reeling in the sixth, he announced he was going to try to catch eight.

Matthew said he enjoys fly fishing and likes to eat fish, but he's not a fan of killing fish. In fact, after catching one of the fish, Matthew gave it a kiss before tossing it back.

The Frederick brothers of Lacey - Brian, 13, James, 10, Andrew, 7 - each caught two fish and were headed home with their nanny, Katrina Renschler, to put them in a freezer. All had their own fishing poles and were experienced fishermen, having gone deep-sea and saltwater fishing before, they said.

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/...fish-in-lures-600-children.html#ixzz0lZAXCwx6

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Matthew said he enjoys fly fishing and likes to eat fish, but he's not a fan of killing fish. In fact, after catching one of the fish, Matthew gave it a kiss before tossing it back.
Yeah. I let him watch the Trout Bums Patagonia. Looks like it sunk in.

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
Hands down to you Jason, absolutely excellent. Nice work poppa Small!

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Great report. I took Tyler and Kyle to the Saturday on the River event where Aaron worked with both. Thirty to forty foot overhead casts with my switch and spey rods. Not bad for their first time. They described it as "awesome!" That means I'm committed for the next ten or twelve years to taking them fishing whenever I go. Then they can take me with.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great post Jason. Did the fishing event last year and Jacob and Garrett had a blast. Wish we could have joined you last weekend. Just got into town late in the afternoon Saturday and the boys were just tired. We should get the boys together and let them fish the pond sometime this week or next.

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again, peeps!
Steve-That is fantastic! Aaron is one hell of an instructor. We'll be at the cutthroat swap/cast/eat thing. We'll have to get the kiddos together.
Roy-Holy shit! You posted! Let me know the day. Are you going to the SSFF meeting? I'm going down south to a Columbia trib on fri. You in?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.