Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sage 6100 that is older than many on this board. It is, however, a spectacular rod. I was looking at it the other day saying to myself that it looks faded, very used but not abused... and maybe a thin, minimal top coat of a t-h-i-n epoxy might make it more...presentable. Has anyone successfully done a thin top coat? If so, any suggestions, hints, advice, ideas or.... Seems like a really thin coat wouldn't be that hard to do and would retain all the rods characteristics. Opinions?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Some do it. I have seen some really nasty results, too. I would consider epoxy the last thing to use. It isn't very flexible. If it isn't worth much, go for it. I don't know where protection comes into consideration.

If it is old, respect is worth more than glitter.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Leave it alone. What you need, needs to expand and contract with the flex of the rod. Even if you could get a good coat applied, it would end up cracking. If the rod is that spectacular, let it be. It's called character.
Tight lines,
Keith

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.