Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Im just getting into the tying world. I live in olympia and primarily fish for Trout, steelhead, Salmon (all types that come around here) and SRC. Im looking for advice as to which patterns you would recommend starting with. I dont want to buy a bucket load of materails, but want to be more systematic. Can you all recommend patterns and some recipies/links to recipies.

Many thanks!

·
Left handed Gemini.
538 Posts
SteelheadandTrout/buggers,Salmon/clousers, SRC/spiders your choice of colors the possibilties are almost endless but you can make a bunch of flies with very little material expenditure most of the patterns only require at the most 3.
tony

·
Registered
58 Posts
Photosenior:
I would suggest for salt water fishing that you search this forum for Les Johnson, Roger Stephens, Preston, Leland Miyawaki, and Don Freeman. I apologize for forgetting some but feel you will get a good start with these boys, they are good at saltwater fishing.:)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for this info.

I was hoping some of you would have a good list and links to recipes for the patterns.

Anyone?

Have a good weekend!

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Ben get a hold of Les Johnsons book 'Fly Fishing For Coastal Cutthrout trout' Lots of infomation and many pics and patterns with recipes. Tha what I tied from mostly lately. I did some with beads and some with the regular patterns. many don't require to many different materials. He also has them grouped by fresh water and salt. If you have any pattern books look up salt patterns and clousers and decievers and sand lance, and candle fish. see what you find asj if you need more help. Bob

·
Resident Swinger
1,773 Posts
Ben get a hold of Les Johnsons book 'Fly Fishing For Coastal Cutthrout trout' Lots of infomation and many pics and patterns with recipes. Tha what I tied from mostly lately. I did some with beads and some with the regular patterns. many don't require to many different materials. He also has them grouped by fresh water and salt. If you have any pattern books look up salt patterns and clousers and decievers and sand lance, and candle fish. see what you find asj if you need more help. Bob[/QUOTE
iagree I would also add a small baitfish pattern for the SRCs. Also the search function on this site will yield a wealth of info. This same topic has been covered before...many, many times and it's all at your fingertips. I learned a ton here when I first started, and am still learning. Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Les' Fly-Fishing for Coastal Cutthroat has been mentioned but dont forget Fly-Fishing for Pacific Salmon II (Johnson, Ferguson and Trotter). Those two books should provide you with enough information on patterns, techniques and, most importantly, enough background information on the species concerned to make you a more knowledgeable and effective angler.

·
Midwest transplant, but taking root nicely....
73 Posts
The other thing I would suggest other than those two books is take a class. Most fly shops around the sound offer them at various times and for specific species, they supply the materials you have to have your own tools but it is a great way to get instruction and patterns that work. Best advice I can give is experiment, with known producers and enjoy the journey.

As for the shops that have classes Gig Harbor Fly Shop and Puget Sound Fly Company both do them for sure.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the input!

Im intending to take some classes here in Olympia.
However, here i was looking for some basic advise from you all.
Im looking for advice as to which patterns you would recommend starting with for the south puget sound.
Can you all recommend patterns and some recipies/links to recipies.

Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.