Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In late winter/early spring when sea-run cutthroat are aggressively chasing after chum on the water surface, it is usually a "match the hatch" situation. I prefer to fish top water patterns on Puget Sound waters due to the challenge and excitment of the top water "take". As such, I am working on top water chum fry patterns and am optimistic that they will be effective. What I have done is make a smaller version(1 to 1 1/2" length) of the top water sand lance pattern(3 1/2" length) which has been so effective for me.

If you tie top water sand lance patterns, you might want to make a smaller version of that pattern that will be the size of chum fry. Double-D sent me a great looking top water sand lance pattern(floating flat wing sand lance) that should be a "killer" chum fry pattern when sized down. Has anyone tied or had success with a top water chum fry pattern?

Roger

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
As always, Roger, you pose interesting questions. I have no top water patterns but I suspect that a Miywaki popper would work nicely if it was tied in chartreuse and/or orange instead of white. That's about as top water as you can get.

·
1,411 Posts
Has anyone tied or had success with a top water chum fry pattern?

Roger
Good morning Roger.

Come to think of it I tied a "Thorne River Emerger' pattern in a swap last spring that was weighted.
I'm sure a floating version would do the trick! :)

Richard

·
Formally Double-D
530 Posts
Thanks Roger,
When I don’t see surface activity I fish a subsurface flat wing in several sizes from 1 1/2" to 3 1/2" and has become my go to pattern much of the time. At times the smaller version works best early in the season but then I don't usually start fishing the salt until almost June so I can't really verify if the cutts take it as a chum fry.

·
Puget Sound Fly Fisher
648 Posts
Roger, I have tied a Miyawaki Popper as a Chum Baby. I used the Micro Dink foam head and colored it with brown Prismacolor marker. I used the rest of Bob Trigg's recipe. It works. The key is to keep it sparse and small.

Look forward to fishing with you in 2010.

Happy New Year.

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
Good comment! Do you use Gamakatsu SC-15 #6 hooks or similar light wire hooks for your top water version?

Roger
Roger, I am using the Daiichi 2546 SS in # 6 or #8. The # 8 is especially light. A bronze light wire hook would work fine too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.