Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across this on the Internet earlier, and thought I would pass on the link, as I found it very interesting. The link is about a traditional type of Japanese fishing, very similar to fly fishing, called Tenkara. Interesting reading though.

By the way, for anyone interested, or anyone travelling to Japan, there is some excellent information on this web page including maps and locations where native char and trout live, and photos of various streams. Very cool!

http://www.itow.com/amago/b-treams/flytying/tenkara2.html

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
-Paul Schullery

·
Registered
430 Posts
Couldn't get link to open, but searched out this: http://www.amago.jp.lv/b-streams/flytying/tenkara.html
Very cool. I was married in Japan in 1980, spent honeymoon skiing at Shigakogen (one of the Olympic venues). Beautiful streams and lakes. My brother in law is a fisherman, and we have pursued Ayu, Yamabe, Masu, and Black Bass in freshwater along with salt-water trips for Kissu and Kuro Tai. Wife grew up in Morioka, Iwate Prefecture (country side area, have historical run in rivers of "Cherry Salmon"). Have had great fun fly-fishing in Japan! Have you been?
Ronbow

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very cool site. It is always neat to see flies that came out of another culture. Everytime that I see collections that did't come directly from the American school I am reminded that many times flies are a function of the tier and his surroundings and not the exact needs of fish, especially with searching patterns. You have to know that Japanese anglers and their flies catch the same species with the same brains of fish that we go after, maybe international sites are the best places to find the elusive but treasured "secret flies."

·
Registered
228 Posts
I couldn't agree more. I love to use international patterns on our local fish. The most common form of that would be in our reliance of east coast and european salmon flies for steelhead.

The brits take a different approach to lake fishing, and many of thier flies are effective. There are some new zealand streamers that are deadly as well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well, I'm leaving for Japan on friday. I'll be there for at least 1-3 years in Sendai and Nagoya. I will let you all know how the fly fishing is over there. Ronbow, did you ever fish lake Biwa? I here it has giant carp and descent bass. I'd really like to try for them on my 5 weight.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Steve, no, my fishing was more up North, and in rivers not far from Tokyo. Really interesting to see the different techniques used in Japan. A lot of long pole and fixed line, "dimpling" bait or fly in pocket water (As well as a lot of dough balls for carp). Most interesting was Ayu fishing. Ayu are small but very tasty fish that migrate into rivers. They are difficult to catch on rod and hook since they are vegetable matter eaters, and very territorial. Sooo, when you fish, you can buy a live fish from the vender along the bank (or use a rubber one if you are poor) and put it in a little harness. Then drop it back into really favorable territory. If there is another fish there, they will fight for the territory. Sorry folks, but then you jig a trailing hook. With luck you now have two fish, and the stronger goes into the harness. Something to see/do once; sorry Chris, definitely not fly fishing!
Ronbow:dunno

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've heard about Ayu fishing and was told it is also very difficult and takes great skill. I also read about a small lake near Tokyo where you basically stand in line until it's your turn to fish, dip your bait or fly in the pond, catch your fish, and then go to the end of the line. Very polite and assembly line like, but I imagine I'll be standing in a lot of lines in Japan:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.