Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I was back in Montana fishing the West Fork of the Bitterroot about 13 miles upstream from it's confluence with the East Fork. I was fishing a spot I hit the previous day and letting my dog McKenzie run and look for birds. We have done this probably 100 + times this past year on the Yakima, Blackfoot, Deschutes, McKenzie, Clackamas, Rock Creek, and the Missouri but this trip ended tragically. My beloved pet got up on the road at one point and was struck by a speeding truck pulling a trailer and was killed.

She was my first pet in over 19 years and my 11 year old daughters very first. We are heartbroken and the hardest thing that I have done over the years was to call my family, who were in California at the time, to break the news to them. McKenzie was a special dog and it has taken me almost a week to be able to share with Facebook and other friends.

Being in Montana away from family and more than 10 hours from home I picked her up and carried her down to the river banks where I buried her by covering her with river rocks. I will go back to visit her, but for now we will cherish the great memories we had with her.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Sad news. Losing a pet is brutal. I feel for you and your family.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
sorry for your loss. Terrible losing a young dog.
I have taken my dogs hunting, hiking, canoeing, fishing over the past 40 years.

My biggest concern is an unattended dog on the road.

thanks for sharing

·
Banned
1,626 Posts
McKenzie, RIP and know the special joy you have provided. Having been through this all I can say is the next dog does help (never completely) fill in that empty feeling.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the kind thoughts everyone. I introduced her on this forum and felt a need to share with you to assist my grief. I appreciate your support and advice over the years.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
when Oct comes this year welcome to come over and chase some upland with me.
I just lost my 12 year old vizsla and now have a young 1 1/2 year whpg old i'm training.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.