Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently live and fly-fish in Pennsylvania. I just graduated from highschool and I'm going to school in Washington. I've been fishing for about ten years, and look foward to many more. I need some advice about equipment. I'm used to fishing small streams with 2-4wt. rods and light tippets. I have 3,4,5wt. setups, plus an 8 wt. for Lake Erie Steelhead. I was wondering if this could cover me for most of the fishing opportunities in Washington. Another thing I'm wondering about is sinking/sinking tip lines, I've never had to use them and think I might need them for some of the lakes. I have lots of graduation money and I'm currently preparing for a fishing trip to Alaska. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

G

·
Chris,
You seem to be outfitted perfectly for WA. What school are you going to?
For lakes, and we have some good ones, I would recomend a clear-camo line for your 5wt.
Your 3wt will be perfect for our small streams.
The 4wt is great for our rivers and for dry fly presentations on the lakes.
The 8wt will be good for steelhead and salmon.
Sounds like you are set. You should have a good time here as there are ample fishing opportunities throughout the state.
Good luck,
Cal

·
Registered
751 Posts
When you get out here, drop me a line, and I'll show you around. I fish a lot of small streams with 3 and 4 weight rods, as well as the occasional lake (although not so much now that the streams are open). Your selection of rods sounds pretty good to me, the three rods I use the most in this state are my 7'9" 3 weight, 8'9" 4 weight, and 9' 6 weight. The 9' 6 weight works well for casting streamers, stoneflies, double nymph rigs, and for summer steelhead. An 8 weight is very important in this state for winter steelies and chums.

Tight lines!

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
-Paul Schullery

·
Retired Mod
10,990 Posts
Yes, the key is what school you're going to. If you're going to Washington State University, you'll be in a different boat then say University of Washington or even Grays Harbor Community College lol. You'll get by fine if you have a 5wt and a 8wt. But, some of the bigger salmon/steelhead will beat up an 8wt (or vice versa). Plus, a 9/10wt throws tips a bit easier as well.

·
Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
RiverFishing

I think these PacNW vets have covered all the angles as far as equipment is concerned. I myself, as a transplanted easterner, was curious, as Steelheader69 suggested, which side of the state you're headed to. I'm assuming you've been out here and if you're going to UW or somewhere westside you'll find the terrain much as you may have imagined, though more varied than ANYONE could imagine. If you're headed to WSU or anywhere east of the Cascades and haven't been out here, be prepared for a shock. The mountains make the Appalachians look like hills and the Columbia Basin drylands are not like anything you would have guessed at. The wheatlands of the Palouse are yet another surprise, so - unless you've had a good look - brace yourself. It ain't all like Seattle, and the possibilities for adventure and discovery are limitless.

I say this as someone who lived in the Blue Ridge for thirty years but feel I'll never leave know that I've discovered the PacNW fisheries.

Plus my wife isn't that crazy about the east anyway!

Mike

Good luck:thumb

·
Registered
384 Posts
Must have's:

Washington Gazetteer
Flyfishing Guide to Washington (Greg Thomas)
Gas $
Beer n coffee

RAINGEAR!

humpies hit the rivers in Sept, coho and chum taking you into thanksgiving...you are in for a definate treat!

river transportation is a must have in my book (to get to the holes away from the gear chuckin ********...), a pontoon boat is a must have. You can get a decent one for not a lot nowadays...

Welcome to the wild west!:smokin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.