Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to get a pontoon boat for rivers and lakes but have one small hangup. I don't own a truck, unfortunately I drive a Honda accord. I am just wondering if anyone here has any experience packing around a pontoon boat in a car along with all of their gear. Is this a feasible thing to do? What are the assembly times like? I have done the float tube thing but being a bigger guy I would really like to get into a pontoon boat. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Jake

·
Registered
695 Posts
I was in the same situation a while back (I even had an accord), and eventually decided on a roof rack. You can do the breakdown thing, but after a while it becomes a PITA. The roof rack simply clamps to the door jams and can be removed whenever your not using it. Yakima Q towers work well and there are a variety of bar/rack configurations you can put on them. A full set up will probably run you around $200, but well worth it IMO.

I wouldn't get much more than an 8' boat with this setup. You will also want to use a blanket or something to slide it over the rear of the car. It may look a little goofy, but since when do looks matter in fly fishing..

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I used a roof rack with a Subaru wagon. I carried that toon all over the place. There is no draw backs. If the car flipped over in a river or a lake it would just float away.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
I wish I had pics of my old car way back. I think alot of my pics came from the digital era. But I used to toss my then new outcast on top of my old mercury comet. Then would strap it down through the front doors and the rear wings. I had a vinyl roof though, so no scratching to worry about. It was one of the original 8' models from way back.

Yeah, breaking them down is a pain. I had a small travel trailer that was my bunkhouse while I didn't have my pickup (I always have had K5 Blazers, but have also had trucks to boot, but sold off my silverado to my Dad for a short time while I was injured and couldn't afford payments). I'd take down my 10' Steelheader and keep it in the cargo hatch while going places (usually having my big 16' cataraft on the roof). Then if I needed the 10', I could just pull it out and put it together. Can be done. Just depends on the model of boat you buy and the frames it has. For what you want, I'd almost say the Watermaster would be the way to go. Rolls down into a nice small package, and doesn't take long to inflate.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have an SUV with a built in rack. But, if you put a removable rack on your Accord, you would have essentially the same platform that I have. Sometimes I carry my frame up on the rack and sometimes I carry it inside.

I keep my toon deflated and store everything but the anchor and the frame in a large canvas bag. My toon bag and all my fishing gear would fit in your trunk. My frame would easily and safely fit on a roof rack on top of your Accord.

My toon is probably a little bulkier than average. It is a Outcast Fishcat Cougar. It has a pair of pontoons on each side. I recommend this style because it is very bouyant and rides lower in the water which lessens the adverse effects of wind. The Cougar has been discountinued by Outcast but its replacement is the Panther which has longer pontoons. Currently there is an older but similar pontoon boat for sale in the classified adds on WFF. If it is in good condition it would made an excellent option.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php/67377-FS-Outcast-PAC-9000-Pontoon

I too am a larger guy. I like my toon on lakes. I sit higher than I do in my tube. I can carry extra rods and a lot more fishing stuff than I can in my tube.

Carrying a deflated toon is no big deal. I use a K pump to inflate my toon and I find I can unload and get my boat ready for duty in 10 to 15 minutes easy.

·
Old And In The Way
250 Posts
I carry a 10 1/2 foot long North Fork Outdoors "Outlaw Rampage" in the trunk of my 1997 Honda Civic. There is plenty of room for the boat and all my fishing gear. I have a 12v LVM pump that will inflate the boat in just a couple minutes, and I top it off with a K-Pump.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the good ideas guys. The roof rack never really crossed my mind but sounds like what I might be looking for. Don your Idea of just the frame on top makes perfect sense being that I am looking to go bigger than 8' due to weight restrictions for longer floats or taking the dog along. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Jake

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I always haul my 9ft Scadden Madison River on top of my SUV rack. I would try to haul assembled as it saves a lot of time. You just have to remember to bleed off a little air if going thru a pass, and I use cam straps to secure it--no problems. Stay away from bungees.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Thanks for all the good ideas guys. The roof rack never really crossed my mind but sounds like what I might be looking for. Don your Idea of just the frame on top makes perfect sense being that I am looking to go bigger than 8' due to weight restrictions for longer floats or taking the dog along. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Jake
The roof rack is the answer, and so is the 8' pontoon. Don't skimp on the pontoon; get a good one. You'll have it longer than you think . . . and, gee, wouldn't it be a bummer to be out on the lake or going down a river and have a pontoon pop?

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Battenkill Bill, I would counter that your advice to stay away from bungees is ill-advised. On the contrary, they never loosen when applied with the proper tension and allow the boat to swell and shrink as the elevation changes. Most of the blow-offs I have seen are the result of cam straps working loose or becoming loose at lower elevations or as the temperature drops.

I have used bungees on all of my flotation devices for years and never seen any evidence of them loosening up. But never go with a single bungee per corner. Double bungee at every tie-down point and buy bungees just for the application and don't use them for everything else. They are safe, dependable and much easier to apply than the cam straps.

Ive

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I run my straps through the loop on the oar lock riser then around the rack and through the buckle. That way if things do come loose for any reason the pontoon still can't blow off and land on the hood of the car behind me. It will bounce around quite a bit, just can't go flying. Fish Cat Panther.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Not sure what your budget is? But you might consider a water skeeter or a frameless NFO boat. Fold up in a bag in the trunk. I do know someone who carries an 8' toon on a small car and roof rack, seems to work fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Getting in a little late here, but just had to send this picture of my Scadden 2 man on the roof of my Subaru. Thule rack with malone kayak wings. Take the rear wings off, slip a piece of pvc over the ends of the racks and roll her on. Put the rear wings on and strap her down. 65 mph and won't move an inch.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Yeah, people are shocked what you can put on roofs. You can do alot. One thing I will say, with the tubes you'll have alot better driving experience if you're going on a long drive (or doing multiday trips) by taking the tubes off and just strapping frame to roof. Wind resistance will be less, and you'll have a better drive. Bungees work, but normally when I had stuff on top, usually the temps always went up, not down, on the drive. So when I had it strapped down, it was colder.

But, will bring this pic up, again. LOL. Everyone loves this one. I always got alot of looks with this one on my drives down the freeway. Wish I had got a pic when I had my 9' Steelheader and my 8' Outcast strapped to the top of the boat as well on top.

That's a 16' Aire Ocelot. :)

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
I have roof topped my 9' fishcat panther (awesome boat IMHO) and outcast PAC 1200 2 person craft. They went onto my nissan pathfinder just fine with a roof rack that I built. I'm sure a solo toon would be fine on your accord. If you anticipate elevation changes, make frequent stops for pressure adjustment and or strap tension checks. I've seen guys arrive with blown bladders and others have theirs fly off the roof at 70mph.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.