Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Trip report, pics.

Trip Report 
2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  GA 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, this is my third and final post for awhile. Sorry if I'm overdoing it, but, personally, I love reading others' reports, so here it is.
For those that can't fish right now.

Fishing the Yakima river. Low 80's, flows about 2,700ish, wind said it was going to be 15-20, it seemed like 5-10, maybe gusts to 15.

I left my boat in Ellensburg last night and just drove to the boat today saving a little time, but not much.

Got the boat to the put in after setting up the shuttle, today will be Ringer to MP 20.

For the first time I fished just on the other side of the launch, it's a pain to get to but fairly fishy water. I hooked into two small ones (and maybe a decent one), not one made it to the boat.

Today I would be the king of LDR's.

After that I moved down to the shallow island and fished the bank there. A lot of water pushing through there, a good white chop on the run, and not real wide.

I parked the boat and hammered this section. Nothing. I feel I would have done better, but search and rescue/Sheriff's dept. was running through there with a river boat right when I pulled in. It's okay, hopefully they will have a smooth year this year.

I moved down to a really big sort of wall section on river right. I'm not sure what it's called, but cows come down there. Anyway, I fished it as best I could and pulled a couple from there. Nothing too big, and of course an LDR.

The next noticeable spot was a river split. I stayed left, pulled the boat in and fished above my boat. Caught a small one on a nymph. A prince to be exact. My nymph set -up today was a stone and a prince.
Unlike yesterday, where I lost 3X set-ups, I lost none today.
Anyway, I fished the other side of that island too. If you're familiar with it, it has a stump right in the middle. I got nothing out of that side today. I did however do very well on that side the other day. I put it to a nice big bow and landed him in shallow water. He came unbuttoned easily and went right under that stump. I hope he's okay. Nice fish.

I fished another couple of tail outs and some more splits in the river, it was fun. Easy and smooth. A beautiful day on the river.

MP 20 take out; It was packed with cars and boats. To say this is a take out is pretty funny. It's like a place on the highway that been backed down into enough times that it's now like a take out, but without a dime of funding. You WILL need to engage four wheel drive. Its hard and sketchy, but totally doable.

Now that Ive successfully fished hard for a few days, I am ready to go home!
We are working on our house and I am sleeping in the garage on the floor so being out of town like this, has been nice. That said, I'm ready, garage floor or not.

Next time;
When I get on the river next time, I hope to have my rope seat replaced with the belt kind, have new tires for the DB, and have a better food/snack plan. My seat is sinking/ripping, the tires aren't hold air, and I try not to eat too much bread, and I've had a lot of bread lately. So, I hope to have those done/improvements in those areas!

Pictures:
I've got a few. One of the cows that came to the water just when I pulled away.

A train ran that through the canyon, it was cool. Lots of history with trains. It was nice to see.

Columnar joining/or jointing, I'm not really sure the exact term, but I love that stuff too. When that hot magma come to the surface and hits cold water and forms itself into hexagon (maybe), honeycomb? Shapes. Anyway, got one of those.

Hell, I'm just gonna through some other random ones up there.

One last thing. I think I saw a river otter, or some kind of river weasel. Tried to get a decent pic of it. That said, if someone can identify it, please tell me what that was/is.

Okay, thanks for enduring my posts, sorry if there are too many and too long, but it is what it is. I'll stop for at least a week! [emoji12]

Tight lines, be safe, have fun!

Cheers,
Buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.