Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
396 Posts
Triploid/Rainbow Record

The state recognized as a new rainbow record, a triploid caught near the net pens of Rufus Woods, weighing 25.45 lbs. in 1998. Since then I understand this record has been surpassed, also in Rufus Woods. I don't see mention of it in the current WDFW regulations, or any other state records. I do know of a number of "trips" being caught in this area of 15-20 plus lbs., but personally feel they are "bogus records", pigging out under the net pens should not qualify as a legitimate record for a rainbow. If they want to classify it as a feedlot record maybe it's justified. That's worse than the McDonalds lawsuits.

· Registered
396 Posts
Triploid/Rainbow Record/Net Pens

I forgot to mention for those that may be unaware, that the net pens on Rufus Woods are commercial operations. The fish are triploids and are sold to firms such as Safeway, etc., may be called "Rainbow", "Steelhead", etc. The large triploids that are being caught near the pens are usually the result of escapees or releases that hang around the pens and pig out on the feed that filters through the nets. Most that I have seen are short heavy fish that have a softball size ball of fat in the belly. Not a fish that should be recognized as a Rainbow state record in my opinion. At the very least it should be listed with an asterisk to differentiate between fish caught under normal conditions in their natural terrain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.