Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,866 Posts
Let's don't be so hasty as to disregreed what science can do. Remember that most of our lakes have no ingress or egress, but are simply a catch basins or seep lakes.

These lakes cannot sustain a population of fish because Rainbows MUST have moving water in order to spawn. So when they are planted in our lakes they grow to sexual maturity in a few quick years and then die because they cannot stand the stress of being unable to spawn. Now the lakes must be "restarted" with new fingerlings.

In my view, all stockers should be triploids since now they will continue to grow becauce spawning will no longer be an issue. Wouldn't you just love to see your little bobber starting to bob on out of here and you set the hook and A NINE pounder jumps clear of the water?

Don't tell me that triploids ain't natural because practically ALL the trout in Washington are not natural and are made by scientists in concrete tanks.
After a short while in a lake, they become exactly like a wild trout and I love them. I am opposed to hatcheries for anadromous fish because of the danger they pose to wild fish.

But for the Yakima and our WA. lakes, hatcheries are all we've got and I support them.

Bob, the Please correct me if I am wrong. :ray1:

· Registered
2,866 Posts
Hey Big K1--

The idea that triploids would stay out in the ocean and just eat was very appealing to commercial salmon trollers. The largest I ever caught while trolling was about 42-43 pounds (dressed out and sold at 39 pounds).

If the triploids were to stay at sea for six or seven years, it might be possible to have 100 lb. plus salmon available. At $3.50 per pound, the highest I was ever paid, I would have a $350 fish in the boat. Catch four or five like that and you are talking a very nice day.

Bob, the Frankly, I don't think I could pull a 100 pound king into the boat but I sure as hell would give it a try. :confused:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.