Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uhhhhhh..... not sure if this was a typo or not, but I was just on the WFDW site, and they are reporting they will plant something like 1070 Triploids in Leech Lake come May. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............
:smokin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard that the triploids that they planted last year were voraciously consumed by the swarming and stunted population of brook trout. Apparently the resident brookies attack anything in that lake that moves just like pihranas. The way I understand it is that the only foodbase left in that lake is brook trout, they have to feed on themselves because every vertabrate and invertabrate population has been decimated. I wouldn't even take a float tube in there. I gues that only reasson they are doing it again this year is to make double sure that they know what happened, like a control for an experiment.
Just a friendly warning,
Cal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cal -
Thanks for the gratuitous heads up. You may not realize this yet, but you are a gentleman in addition to being a scholar. I'll keep about 500 brookies (on lil' brookie streamers with head big, tail small, of course) next time I go up there in hopes of putting a small dent in all that carnage. And, as well, I'll bring some planter mayflies, chironomid, damsel, dragon and scud in hopes they'll maybe "go wild" and reverse the trend. If what you're saying is true... Leech may well be doomed. I'll do my part, though. At least this year. I'll try... All I can do is try...

:smokin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.