Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats are some good flys to troll in a caonoe or raft? i know wolly buggers what else . any tips for merril lake

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Damselfly and Dragonfly nymphs, not at a constant speed, but jerky twitches. Sometimes you'll be glad you have a firm grip on your rod.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Carey Special`s and Doc Spratley`s are probably the most popular (and productive) trolling flies up here in BC .

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
White leeches work well. I saw a guy trolling small yellow marabou leech. He was catching fish and no one else was catching. I tied up few and carry them with me. They work well.

·
fish-ician
1,474 Posts
I think the secret is not the first fly, but the trailer. I like a big leech or woolly bugger up front, perhaps a care special, and then trail a much smaller wet fly or nymph in the back. Most people will troll very slowly, but don't forget to try with some speed, as I have hooked many fish that way. You need a good rod holder though, as the takes tend to be vicious.

wayne

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I have caught fish trolling a chironomid.

Any fly will work depending on what the fish are keying in on.

Experiment.
ditto!!

·
Kayak Fly Angler
176 Posts
I was still fishing a dry mayfly imitation today without much luck. It started dumping rain so I headed for the launch just letting my fly trail behind me. Suddenly I couldn't keep the fish off. Who knows why they were all over a waterlogged dry fly trolled at high speed, but I had three to the boat in the time it took to reach the launch.

Streamers probably work best for trolling, but it's always worth experimenting.

·
Jeff W.
128 Posts
I agree with Wayne's recommendation. From my float tube, I usually slow troll some kind of large wet bug up front with a smallish bead-head nymph or emerger trailer. My hit ratio with that set-up is about 60/40 in favor of the trailer. I've also had fairly good success with this rig in trout steams and rivers.

--Jeff

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.