Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Trophy Alpine West Slope Cutty

19K views 180 replies 65 participants last post by  KerryS 
#1 ·
Figured I would post and show this. Just shy of the state record. Caught last weekend. By the way, yes I kept these, so don't bother making any smart ass comments. Caught them it on a beatis nymph. Oh ya, no I am not stoned, though it looks like it in the pic. It was taken when I was blinking. Trying to cover all my basis from all who will try to bash .

Caught one that was 16, 4 - 18 , 1 - 19, and that big one at 22.

#9 ·
I have been scoping this lake out for the last two years. I still think there are bigger ones in there. THe issue is, they are 10 yrs old and are about ready to die. went earlier in the year (July and they were not bitting) so had to go back for a second trip this year. Went last year and I caught 4 in the 18 in range, learned what they were eating and went back up.

#19 ·
He was trolling...he said as much in his initial post. And by the number of his replies its obvious he's checking back often.

I'd much rather see a creative release shot, much less a hero shot, unless its a kid or a first time NewB.

Stringer shots are sooo Caveman.

Cheers!
CW

#21 ·
Anyone who's been around a while knows that posting photos of dead native trout will get some feathers ruffled. From his first post he stated that he almost had the record. Well, almost having the record is the same as NOT having the record. Sure those trout were old, maybe ten years, maybe not. They are dead now and because they are dead they won't ever become state record trout and he won't become a state record holding angler. He just got a few nice native fish dead on the rocks for his pleasure. Not illegal. Not the record. Not my cup of tea. I caught a few native west slope cutthroat this past weekend. Mine were smaller than yours, I'm cool with that, and mine are still growing. Anyone for popcorn?

#23 ·
Derek, I'm too fat for butter, no need to make my friends work any harder when rowing me around for wild trout that I'll catch and release.

#24 ·
Hey nice fishies, Caveman.... I see you had better luck this time than you did when I saw you guys there in July! There were quite a few more piggies caught there this summer. It never ceases to amaze me how nice the fish grow there considering it gets absolutely pounded... One trip last year there were Thirty-three people camped there!!!!! Granted, 12 I think were in an Outward Bound group but still.. that's a lot of pressure.

You might be a bit off on the fishies age, it was planted in the fall of 1999 so that would make it 11 years old!

No worries about keeping the fish if you like. They are there for everybody's fishing enjoyment to keep or to let go for the next guy to catch and keep or let go and then die of old age... The hatchery will keep pumping them out and dorks like the guy below will keep filling jugs up and packing them in when it's time to plant again.

#26 ·
I really couldn't care less if someone wants to keep some fish, as long as its legal to do so. My only issue is the statement that you kept an 18" fish simply because there was no one around to take a picture. Are you really in such desperate need of "proof" to show off to all of your friends and such? An 18" fish is certainly a dandy in my book, but not big enough that I'd absolutely positively need proof of having caught it. Killing a fish simply because you couldn't take a picture, well, like it or not that irritates the hell out of me. Oh well, to each their own. Glad you had a nice trip.

#28 ·
Love the sight of wild fish swimming away. To each his own and I sure hope they were legal and not wasted just for pictures. If you can't take pictures waia for someone who can or be prepared.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.