Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A thief broke into my truck this morning at the Anderson Point Park parking lot north of Ollala. The key apparatus was removed without damaging the lock or door, which is likely a sign that the thief was a professional. Missing are a portable GPS unit and a black tote-bag with my employer's name written on the side in yellow. Unfortunately, the tote bag contained several boxes of saltwater flies, including my "warehouse boxes" with 12-36 of my favorite flies (rolled muddlers, olive-over white streamers, tan woolley buggers, etc..). The bag also had a spare spool for a Pfleuger Trion, containing a 7/8 streamer-express clear intermediate line, and a bunch of leaders, tippett spools, and various other items. The thief didn't take a pair of binoculars, a watch, and various other items. They even found a spare key and placed it on the drivers seat. I was lucky that they didn't take the truck.

I reported this to the Kitsap Sheriff.

I wanted to let others know the area is apparently being targeted. Don't leave any valuables in your vehicle. Also, please let me know if you find any of my missing stuff. Obviously, the flies are the biggest loss & will take a lot of time to replace. It's possible that the thief wouldn't understand the value and just leave them some place.

Bummer, but could have been worse.

Tom

·
Fly Fisher, Bon Vivant!
385 Posts
I hate thieves! They not only steal your property but they steal your peace of mind. The cops don't seem to care. There are places I loved to fish but have abandoned due to car break-ins. I can't relax and enjoy myself if I'm constantly anxious about the well being being of my auto and it's contents. You should leave a cyanide enegy bar for them to steal. Bastards.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Tom. I wish I could do more than just wish that the thief forever suffers excruciating pain and horrible misfortune, but that's about all I can manage from where i sit! Man, if i ever witnessed a thief getting the crap pounded out of him by the "victim," all I would remember would be that the thief stumbled over his own feet and fell down, hurting himself.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Dang! Sorry. That's the 1st I have heard that for Kitsap County, but I'm sure it happens here. Bums me out. My friend convinced me to buy this tote bag to put all my gear in, but I have been worried about doing that for this very reason. I would lose "lots" of dollars worth of reels, lines, etc. I think I'll take the bare minimum for the fish I'm targeting only, rather than carry my trout gear, my salmon gear, and my cutthroat gear all in one bag.... Geesus.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sorry to hear that Tom.
I've fished Anderson Point a couple of times and always had a bad feeling about that parking area being so remote and far from where I'm fishing.
It's just too inviting to the scum bags of the area.
Keep an eye on eBay!

·
Midwest transplant, but taking root nicely....
73 Posts
Sorry to hear that! Sounds like they are back at it, back about a year or so ago there were a couple break ins out there. One of the guys a local fly shop got nailed back then, not to mention that the high school kids use the park as a party spot and have recently trashed it big time, was there a couple weeks ago and carried out 4 garbage bags of trash, 4 smoldering campfires, that we put out that morning when we got down to the beach, just a shame it was a nice place.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the condolences, and especially the tip to watch e-bay. This is the third time I've been broken into; once at Lake Lenice, once at Metzler park on the Green River, and now this. The only solution to vandalism is to not leave anything in the vehicle. I've talked to guys who leave their doors unlocked, so the thieves can enter without damaging the vehicle. Portable GPS units are apparently targets for car vandals, and I'm not going to replace mine - the old road atlas will have to do.

Unfortunately, vandalism has been a problem at the park ever since it opened. They burned down the covered shelter a few years ago, and there were once picnic tables and a sani-can, all of which had to be removed bucause of on-going damage.

Tom

·
FISHON206
4,692 Posts
Bummer Tom, hate to hear that. I take all with me, so now I've learned to pack light. One thing I do when I park in a shady looking location is...a 38 special hollow point on the dash of my truck. Let them think, where are the other 5???

·
Registered
740 Posts
I would go for a walk in the area. Chance are they just grabbed anything in the vehicle that was out in the open. They probably dumped your fly boxes and other stuff along side the road. They are of no value at a pawn shop or to a meth dealer. I know a couple of people that have found their stuff alog side a road in the area.

·
Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
Tom...

You may have saved me some grief. I haven't been fishing in like, forever, and was thinking about that very spot tomorrow morning. I recall meeting you down there late last summer or early fall (and Craig,also...) and ever since I've been on the west side of the state, that's been one of my favorite get-away-from-it-all spots, though I've had the same uneasy feeling, especially since you end up so far away from your vehicle, etc. And it's been real disheartening to see how it's been trashed over time. I think it could be a real gem again, but damned if I know of a good way to keep the dirtbags out of there.

Shawn's idea isn't a bad one, though the thieves may have carried your bag off quite a distance before taking time to look at their "haul."

I recall you were a class gentleman and hate that this happened to you, not that anyone deserves it.

Sorry again for your loss, especially the loss of peace of mind that should be a part of fishing that great spot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.