Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with either of these tires and could comment as I'm hung up on trying to determine where to spend my money.

I have a 2002 Ford F250 and I run my camper on it about 8 months of the year and it sees a fair bit of gravel and mud. I'm not at all worried about highway noise but do want something aggressive and also something that can safely cope with all the seasonally wet roads I drive on. I've looked at a number of on-line reviews and it appears the Toyos have a slight advantage but know how subjective these can be. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Haven't had the Toyo but loved the Duratrac on my Silverado 1500. Aggressive in looks and ability, road noise was actually very minimal in my opinion also. They performed great under a load of firewood in the bed whether in mud or snow, can't say they ever let me down. They towed fine and I had over 60k on them with regular rotations every 6 months.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Go with the Toyo. I've had two sets, each on Tundra's with a good mix of on-road, freeway, and moderate off-road use. Nearly 70k on current set and approx. 40% tread left. Great warranty from Les Schwab but haven't needed it.

·
~El Pescador
1,926 Posts
I've got the Toyo's on our suburban. No real off road use (besides gravel), but I do pull a 19 foot boat and all the gear over the pass a few times a year. Great stopping power and long wear. Pricey, but I'm glad I have them. Plus it is my wife's daily driver - can't have too much protection for her!

·
AKA: Gregory Mine
997 Posts
No matter what you get, have the tires siped. Better wet road stopping ability, run cooler in the summer, and last a little longer.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The guys who can afford to drive whatever suits their fancies in Mongolia and Western China drive diesel Land Cruisers with Bridgestone AT Revos.

Four wheeling over there is the real deal - not the pussified US version.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
The open Country AT's are really a great all around M//S tire. Limited road noise, excellent in the snow....and of course the rain and you can expect to get a lot of miles from. For your rig I think they'll cost you around $ 250 each...out the door. Just saw you mentioned the "M" word.....MUD....the biggest variable in your question! You can always get the Toyo MT's, but they are quite a bit louder, a little more money and will definitely be worse in the rain....one drawback of all 4 X 4 Pickmeups in 2 WD. If your only talking a little mud or muddy gravel roads, go with the AT's. My last 4 trucks, including the Tundra I drive now, I must have racked up 450.00 miles...or more. All of them had the AT's on them, never had a failure, only 2 flats in all those miles and got between 60 to 75,000 miles a set of tires. Rarely fully loaded, lots of freeway miles towing either a ski or fishing boat, but usually crammed full of Buddies, Beer and Bowhunting gear....just what I've always called a work truck. The Kicker: there's a Les Schwab everywhere you go!

·
Lue Taylor/dbfly
2,550 Posts
I like the the Dura trac tires hold the road in wet/snow been running on a Tacoma for 8yrs now my 1500lt. Tire rack .com has best price two day delivery. I also put 199000 on three set only had to change the second set because I got animal bones in two tires over in Coleville,wa

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
I ran Toyo Open Country A/Ts on a 3/4 ton Dodge a number of years ago - they were quiet, wore like iron, but were very sensitive to air pressure. I run Toyo Open Country M/Ts on my Wrangler - wear characteristics are still very good, they are reasonably quiet on pavement considering the overly-aggressive tread, & there has been NO air pressure sensitivity exhibited (maybe Toyo resolved that issue.). These are impressive when off-road in sand/mud/snow; I've crawled over & through some nasty terrain. I've never been terribly pleased with Goodyear tires. I'm also happy with the Michelin A/Ts I've had on my Tacoma for the last 3 years - these are wearing very well considering that this truck is my daily driver.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I've had numerous sets of the Toyo Open Country. We currently are running them on my F-150 and two Ford Escapes. I usually buy them at Les Schwab because the tire stores are all over the Northwest and their service is top notch, IMHO. They are pricey but what comes with them makes up for the difference.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You might want to look at Kumho Road Venture AT 51's. I can't speak to longevity (have about 10k on them) but they've performed well through two winters and are relatively quiet and the price was right.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow! Thanks everyone of you!

I'm up in BC (Bring Cash), so no Les Schwab here but plenty of shops that I' looking at dealing with on both of the tires I'm looking at. The Toyos run all in a bit over $1350 Canadian which is about $255 a piece in US $$. I looked at BFG KO2s as we ran these on the work trucks and the guy we got them from recommended the Toyo Open Country AT II. I also did get a price on the Kumho but they didn't match up on the reviews as well as the Toyo. I'm sort of leaning more in their direction and will also talk to the dealer about siping. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.