Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this Ryan Zinke guy is far from perfect but its nice to know the guy is all about Public lands, keeping them at the Fed while also starting to manage them better. Matches up with Trumps latest tweet on keeping public lands at the fed. The fact that he is a Montana fly fishing, small town dude isn't a bad thing either. Could be a HECK of a lot worse considering much of the republican party (which historically I've leaned conservative) favors state transfer. I think he even resigned as a delegate over the land transfer issue earlier this year.

http://www.ryanzinke.com/2016/08/15...endorses-ryan-zinkes-re-election-to-congress/

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts
Not sure he's great, but at least he has a background and understanding of public lands.

It is nice to see somebody supporting funding of the Land and Water Conservation Fund.

I am, hopeful, about conservation and the new Administration. I also hope that they do not disappoint me.

·
swollen member
877 Posts
Well, his other appointments are a joke so I'm hoping this guy isn't one too.
I was also a bit worried about the Donald until I saw that he met with Kanye West yesterday. That is reassuring.

·
Banned
295 Posts
I see things differently, I guess. Zinke received a 3 percent lifetime score from the League of Conservation Voters. He opposed the EPA's Clean Water Rule, Clean Power Plan, and voted against myriad environmental protection proposals. He's also a supporter of the Keystone XL pipeline. Someone said he was the fourth and final horseman of Trump's environmental apocalypse.

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
I see things differently, I guess. Zinke received a 3 percent lifetime score from the League of Conservation Voters. He opposed the EPA's Clean Water Rule, Clean Power Plan, and voted against myriad environmental protection proposals. He's also a supporter of the Keystone XL pipeline. Someone said he was the fourth and final horseman of Trump's environmental apocalypse.
Thank you for providing some facts about the future sec of interior. Definitely not a friend to clean water.

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts
Be very careful when looking at "lifetime scores" from organizations like the League of Conservation Voters. Sometimes they post the votes that they included in the scoring. It is worth looking at those.

You need to look at those and see how they align with your values. In most cases, those are there just for political reasons....which is OK, but you need to understand that they are there to reflect "political" views not necessarily conservation views.

Be very careful of letting other organizations set YOUR views.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
2506 -
Saw that extremely low score from the League of Conservation Voters.

From my perspective another typical Trump appointment; Business first everything else after. Hard to imagine Zinke being a friend for protection water quality or most of the other gains in environmental protection that has occurred in recent decades.

Curt

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
This from the League of Conservation Voters? Kind of akin to getting a square assessment about anti-gun folks from the NRA. That Zinke did not vote for the "myriad of environmental proposals" may very well be a good thing. Regrettably, the EPA is beginning to look much like the IRS and being used as a political bludgeon against those who do not follow in lock step with the Climate Alarmists. That overreach very likely played a part in Trump's win. Americans seem to have a intrinsic sense of when it's time to reign in government.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree. Just because he's a fisherman and has historically proposed the privatization of public lands doesn't mean he won't buckle to the "profits first" agenda that the administration is clearly pushing. Is he a better nominee than Trumps first pick a week ago (Cathy Rogers)? Probably. But it doesn't mean we should turn our backs and expect him to further conservation interests.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I don't think it entirely discredits them in anyway, but it should be noted that the "League of Conservation Voters" are a large Democrat PAC. I believe they are nearly the top financial donor in their class/segment. Again I'm sure there is real validity to much of what they are highlighting...my opinion is it is rarely effective to take a binary approach to understanding issues though.

https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/lookup2.php?strID=C00252940

I'd bet money that he will continue to oppose the Fed Land Transfer and we should be happy about that and recognize it. The other stuff is just as important as well too. I'd hope he would find the Radical Middle, though who knows.

Trout Unlimited CEO had an interesting press release on him:
http://www.tu.org/press-releases/tu...servation-critical-for-interior-nominee-zinke

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.