Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Cool, first fish roi, they carry cig. but very tasty. 2nd papio, juvenile bluefinned trevally. Third black fin reef sharks, like dogs following you on the flats. Last one uku, grey snapper, job fish , very tasty. Notice the scaled specimen ready for the oven. You should have trolled a hand line and maybe a mahi or ono would have been for dinner. Glad you had a good time. Love the pacific islands, Mems.

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, first fish roi, they carry cig. but very tasty. 2nd papio, juvenile bluefinned trevally. Third black fin reef sharks, like dogs following you on the flats. Last one uku, grey snapper, job fish , very tasty. Notice the scaled specimen ready for the oven. You should have trolled a hand line and maybe a mahi or ono would have been for dinner. Glad you had a good time. Love the pacific islands, Mems.
Hey Mems tossed the coral grouper back as I heard they do carry cig and met some people that had been affected by it, which looks to be no good at all, job fish was very good eating and supposedly can carry cig too, so it was a bit nerve racking. We did some trolling while sailing, but broke off the only two fish that bit the entire time. I am thinking about helping them crew the boat to the Cooks in May so I will try again then!
I surfed my way around the Tuamotus some years ago (before kids came along). Really pretty and plenty of good waves.....
No surfing this trip, but lots of diving and a bit of kiting, which was a cool new thing for me

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
When I fished the Coral Sea, the Aussies all swore that the coral grouper (which they call "coral trout") were the best eating fish you could catch, and that the jobfish were what you wanted to avoid because of ciguatera. Seems to depend on the particular area. I was pretty apprehensive the first time I ate barracuda in the Yucatan, but apparently they eat it all the time there, and I figured the lodge wouldn't be serving it if it was a real concern.
Makes sense that it's an area specific problem. When we went to the Bahamas my son caught a good-sized cuda on Eleuthera. The guide assured us that it was safe to eat and took one fillet for himself. The lady that ran the restaurant/inn where we were staying was worried until I told here who the guide was, and where it was caught. Cuda is very good BTW. She cooked us a delicious and very authentic Bahamian dinner of cuda fingers, spicy beans and rice, and fried plantains.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Most Reef predators can get cig. Job fish, cuda, trevally, roi (grouper), amberjack, snapper (Waha nui are notorious) have been linked to cig in Hawaii. We have a test kit you can buy in Hawaii to test the fish. When you eat reef fish you take a risk. I am sure I have been exposed to it but have not had a serous reaction, yet. I do stay away from cuda and roi. I hate the smell of cuda, but the meat is white and tasty like wahoo. The pelagics, ahi, mahi and ono are safe here in Hawaii. But there are plenty of parasites associated with all of these fish. Still I like the sashimi. I try to do a liver cleanse at least once a year. I would not suggest eating raw salmon or trout, tape worms are nasty. Mems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.